Author Topic: leaf springs and shackles  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: leaf springs and shackles
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 04:29:54 PM »
I've now cleaned mine with evaporust. What's recommended at this point since they are in good condition? Scotchbrite or wire wheel and then clear?
If I were trying to make them look better I would glass bead them to get all of the remaining rust residue seen in the picture off and then I would put them in a tumbler with stainless steel media.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 05:12:23 PM »
agree with bob. i also would not use a wire wheel, leaves scars or not use clearcoat. factory did not use clear so why should you. suggest a good preservative such as Boeshield.
5F09C331248

Offline bburns31

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 05:49:54 PM »
Any suggestions if I don't have a tumbler or media blaster?
66 Mustang Dearborn C Code Sauterne Gold Metallic

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 06:11:06 PM »
there are a few folks on here that offer that service. a service wanted ad would be a good start.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 12:17:30 AM »
A brass wire wheel will not cause the damage a steel one will on steel. You'll need to l darken the metal back to looking like new steel since the wheel/brush will leave it bright and very shinny

Some gun bluing with some practice and darker coating/spots at the weld locations

Allot depends on the condition of what your starting out with
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 03:28:05 AM »
A brass wire wheel will not cause the damage a steel one will on steel. You'll need to l darken the metal back to looking like new steel since the wheel/brush will leave it bright and very shinny

Some gun bluing with some practice and darker coating/spots at the weld locations

Allot depends on the condition of what your starting out with
Also if using a brass wire wheel it will leave traces of goldish brass on the metal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
Also if using a brass wire wheel it will leave traces of goldish brass on the metal.

I find that "goes away" with the use of the steel wool used to apply and work the gun blueing but would be a concern if you were not doing that. :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)