Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - 289 Motor Mount  (Read 2597 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
66 SJ Running Change Thread - 289 Motor Mount
« on: July 10, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »
This thread is the result of two things. First we have reference to the change already listed in the Running Changes for all year and I just assembled and posted some pictures of the differences on another site so again I post them here for our purposes and useage.

In 1966 all three assembly plants continued using the same motor mounts they were using in late 65 production. The mounts were made up of allot of individual items and the assembly was redesigned into a more simple assembly with less total parts.

In late 65 and in the first part of 1966 the motor mounts were as shown below.

Upper left - K code hipo motor mount assembly. This one happens to be a convertible example
Lower right - a C or A code motor mount assembly

Around the end of the calendar year (changes too place at different times depending on assembly plant) Ford changed to the design shown below. The MPC list the change over as taking place on Nov 1 1965 but those notes have been shown to not always being accurate in all cases. Unfortunately when don't know when any of our 66's were exactly built so the date is difficult to directly apply just as VIN's since the cars were not built in sequential order. At best we can identify a range or general period

Rubber bonded with metal upper and lower metal attachment brackets. Each of these carried a cast engineering number in the rubber body which is very visible on some of the sides once installed in the car. C6OA-6038-

New motor mount to frame mounts formed from thick sheet metal rather than the cast earlier design

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:32:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Herman

Re: 66 289 Motor Mount Running Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 03:04:14 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Very interesting topic indeed, I've a SJ built 66 GT Convertible with Oct 65 scheduled build date and we've have the first set of engine mounts

Herman
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline 1966KGT

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
Scheduled build 11/08/65 San Jose fastback, K GT. C6OA-6038-B one piece mounts. Can't figure out how to send pictures.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:13:05 PM »
Any additional info on this?

I'm trying to determine the correct mounts for a Jan '66 Metuchen A code fastback.  The Ford '66 parts book calls for C6OZ-6038-C for both sides, but not sure what that means for engineering numbers molded in?  There is a difference with convertibles, they are called out in the '66 parts book at C6OZ-6038-D.

The '75 MPC shows the service part as D0OZ-6038-H (fb & coupe) and D0OZ-6038-H for convertibles.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:18:41 PM »
Any additional info on this?

I'm trying to determine the correct mounts for a Jan '66 Metuchen A code fastback.  The Ford '66 parts book calls for C6OZ-6038-C for both sides, but not sure what that means for engineering numbers molded in?  There is a difference with convertibles, they are called out in the '66 parts book at C6OZ-6038-D.

For NJ built 66's I don't have allot of examples but I found 6T1993xx and it has the 66 version on the car in the pictures I have. Only one example so far so hope this helps in some way

As for markings on the mounts Looks like the -D was cast as -F from best I can tell and the -E for non-convertibles is shown below

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:18:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »
For a possible better reference of service replacement items, from the 60-68 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:56:51 PM »
Thanks.  Too bad there isn't a '66 chassis assembly manual available, would have called this out.  I see there is a 67 chassis manual which I don't have.  Just ordered the set, will see.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 11:39:55 PM »
Thanks.  Too bad there isn't a '66 chassis assembly manual available, would have called this out.  I see there is a 67 chassis manual which I don't have.  Just ordered the set, will see.
I could have saved you the money if I was faster on the draw posting but you need the 67 book for your library anyway. Nothing about different SB motor mounts between convert and coupe in the 67 manual. One thing is 67 Mustang V8 only has one chassis mount used for BB and SB. 67 SB motor mounts are unique to that year . Between the lower BB type chassis mount used for both and the different SB motor mounts the engine sits lower. That may be why only one style SB motor mount was meant to work with both 67 convert /coupe application . Just a guess.     
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:18:40 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 12:08:10 AM »

Not sure that the assembly manual of this area would have provided anything more than show one of the two versions and likely would not mention the earlier or if that page was printed early in the year not mention the version that was not yet used or planned. Sort of like the MPC listing of when the change was suppose to take place we would still lack when the change was really made at each plant. The same issue we've found on other parts

Hopefully some others that have original NJ 66's in that range will share. Another one of those details that is hidden from view from most angles
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 01:33:25 AM »
CHARLES.

i cant find pictures of the door tag at present, to confirm approx build date but mutual friend Frank and his yellow 66 NJ GT coupe had the 66 version motor mounts. the one image of that area i could find im unable to read the casting codes from the motor mounts.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:46:28 AM »
Not sure that the assembly manual of this area would have provided anything more than show one of the two versions and likely would not mention the earlier or if that page was printed early in the year not mention the version that was not yet used or planned. Sort of like the MPC listing of when the change was suppose to take place we would still lack when the change was really made at each plant. The same issue we've found on other parts

Hopefully some others that have original NJ 66's in that range will share. Another one of those details that is hidden from view from most angles

Thanks, guess I was thinking it might actually call out the suffix, looks like it's the generic basic number from what Bob posted.  (I did need the 67 manuals, surprised I got by this long without them, lol)

Phill's later unrestored 66 coupe has C6OA-6038-E, so might be making the case for that particular engineering number for the period/plant I'm working on.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - 289 Motor Mount
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 12:11:12 AM »
Put together a couple examples of the 66 versions for another need but thought they would go well with this thread and future viewing

Two different styles of marking suggests two different suppliers. Single and two line with FoMoCo in a rectangle box and different coding for the maker. -E and -F shown
Other details are visible in these close ups.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 12:51:20 AM »
Here is a third version . All three start with C6. This one reads upside down with the motor mount in mounting position.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »
Put together a couple examples of the 66 versions for another need but thought they would go well with this thread and future viewing

Two different styles of marking suggests two different suppliers. Single and two line with FoMoCo in a rectangle box and different coding for the maker. -E and -F shown
Other details are visible in these close ups.

Keep in mind that Ford changed the "dash" number with design changes as well as with different  vendors.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.