Author Topic: 66 Radiator Grille Attaching Screws  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 Radiator Grille Attaching Screws
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
The "CF" head marking screws (42127-S8) are primarily used on the grills for 64-66 Mustangs. A "D" head screw, same part number, is used for grounds although the finish may also be -S36 in 66. I have found several screws with head marking "FC" but don't have application information. There are also "RBW", a triangle, two concentric circles, four concentric circles, a domed head and other head markings. Most of the others are hidden, under carper, under the console, etc.
Jim
Jim ,that is why I asked if they still came in the kit (grill) because I need some.   AMK is running out of a lot of correct marking fasteners. . The CF screws are commonly used in other hidden places on the car and can be transplanted to the visible spots like the grill. The fastback interior brackets that the trim screws to is a bonanza for CF marked screws typically unless you don't have one handy to rob them from  :o . At least on SJ cars which is what I primarily work with. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »
The "CF" head marking screws (42127-S8) are primarily used on the grills for 64-66 Mustangs. A "D" head screw, same part number, is used for grounds although the finish may also be -S36 in 66. I have found several screws with head marking "FC" but don't have application information. There are also "RBW", a triangle, two concentric circles, four concentric circles, a domed head and other head markings. Most of the others are hidden, under carper, under the console, etc.
Jim

Aren't the early SJ cars (64-65) phosphate according to a previous topic:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9375.msg55154
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
Jim ,that is why I asked if they still came in the kit (grill) because I need some.   AMK is running out of a lot of correct marking fasteners. . The CF screws are commonly used in other hidden places on the car and can be transplanted to the visible spots like the grill. The fastback interior brackets that the trim screws to is a bonanza for CF marked screws typically unless you don't have one handy to rob them from  :o . At least on SJ cars which is what I primarily work with.

Bob, check with Brant, he can get bulk quantities if available.  That's what I've done in the past instead of buying individual kits.  Believe you can also get bulk directly from AMK.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:27:10 PM »
Aren't the early SJ cars (64-65) phosphate according to a previous topic:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9375.msg55154
I have always seen S8.others may have seen different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:34 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but wanted to confirm the finish on the grill screws for a Hertz car. Should they be zinc or phosphate? I looked at the unrestored section especially the San Jose cars and most of the screws on the end tab appeared rusty in most especially the white early gt350 non hertz. Would zinc rust that fast as opposed to the phosphate finish? There was not a good picture of the lower screws at the bottom of the grill.

Thanks
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 10:31:49 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but wanted to confirm the finish on the grill screws for a Hertz car. Should they be zinc or phosphate? I looked at the unrestored section especially the San Jose cars and most of the screws on the end tab appeared rusty in most especially the white early gt350 non hertz. Would zinc rust that fast as opposed to the phosphate finish? There was not a good picture of the lower screws at the bottom of the grill.

Thanks

No problem thanks for using an established thread

Since we didn't really establish the finish using the hardware number during the last discussion ".....(42127-S8) are primarily used on the grills for 64-66 Mustangs. A "D" head screw, same part number, is used for grounds although the finish may also be -S36 ..." and Bob G's recall was "S8"  I tried again look towards unrestored and period pictures to see what they would provide

As for finish please indulge my rambling since I spend some time on this little detail

First a quick shot of the head markings from one of the 66 San Jose examples since that is what the latest request was based on. Reply #19

First on the vast majority of original cars the upper corner screws showed even layer of rust while on the good cars the lower were just dirty and lacked any true suggestion of their original finish though if they were zinc they surely didn't show it.

Here is a close up from a 1966 San Jose grill screw showing the head markings

Figured I was striking out with current and recent photograhed example I turned my hopes of finding better examples in pictures from 1966-67 and what I found is shown below

Pictures poor in some cares as they may be spanning from (Shelby) 300s-just short of 2200)

And though IMHO it it does not really confirm strongly one way or another due to the flash here are the two screws from a spring 66 French made film from the Shelby plant

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:36:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2022, 10:50:02 PM »
I think that S8 is the safe bet. At least that is what I would suggest based on my perception . AMK used to sell them even with the CF markings but that was some years ago and don't know what they send now.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 12:04:09 AM »
I think that S8 is the safe bet. At least that is what I would suggest based on my perception..............

Agree just going through the process to supply some supporting evidence  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)