Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Export Brace repro/original

(1/9) > >>

Benstang:
Hey

I know it has been discussed all over a lot of times but:

A lot of people claim that the new repro Scott drake Export brace ( https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041333.html ) is a perfect match to the original.

They say that over time shock towers bend in and because of that you have often to push them back out before you can install the export brace.

I believe the stock measurement between: inner shock cap bolt to inner shock cap bolt  ( center to center) should measure 30,5”

My car is almost right on spot to that measurement.

The scott drake peace is almost 0,65 “ off. (Beside the bolts at the cowel vents are off too.)

I just don’t think that all the cars have to be treated like this : ( )

I could imagine that a car is off maybe 0,1” and with jack stands you can move that.. but 0,65”.. no way..

How many people have ruined their cars like that to "make the repro part fit??"

Does anyone have an original piece an can give me some measurements?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

rodster:
Something I've always wondered about and will be anxious to hear what experienced folks have to say.

KevinK:
I have asked around a bit but have not gotten a straight answer. I bought a Ford one back in 83 and put it on my 69 after having the frame aligned. I would like to put one on my 67.

I think there were issues with the repros back in the 90s.

Bossbill:
My original 67 export brace is 30 3/4. It's off the car so it's easy to measure.
I just bought a repop of unknown vintage at a swap meet and it's 30 1/2.
It's a later repop that looks very close to an original.
The first repops had very lazy ribs, so they are easy to spot.

Bob Gaines:
I have been very pleased with the export braces that Virginia Mustang sells now as their best quality. They have been pretty exact compared to a original from what I have found . They fit as original. They look as original . I have had dozens and dozens of the vintage OEM type over the years as a basis for my evaluation. Yes earlier repro attempts, and there are many look substantially different . Even later Ford service versions looked just as horribly bad. As has been mentioned you can typically tell the difference between a repro or later Ford service by the folds or ribs of metal . Lazy is a good way to describe because they are not as crisp or sharp in the bends. I would have no problem trusting the best export brace version that Brant sells . Check with him on source if you like. If it doesn't fit using that or a vintage OEM brace then it is more then likely a little metal fatigue and movement more so then a faulty piece IMO from what I have seen. It is easy to blame a repo part fit over OEM and rightly so but not in this case using the superior repro part that Brant sells from my experience. FYI I have found slight variations between vintage OEM braces compared to each before but nothing that caused a issue. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version