Author Topic: Sealer, if any, used on quarter to rocker/quarter to panel behind rear window  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Fullbasement

I'm working a Metuchen built 66 convertible. I'm wondering what was used where the quarter panel and rocker meet. Mine had some type of sealer, but the quarters have been replaced. So I'm not sure what if anything was used there originally.

Also where the quarter panel meets the panel across the back behind the rear window. Self leveling here?
I had to replace that back panel, and being a repo piece it has a fairly large gap there.

1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unfortunately the assembly manuals that are widely available do not include the assembly of the unibody. With that said in the first few pages there are notes of a number of different sealers that were used but no - this one when here and that one went there sort of help. Some were applied to the panels before they were welded, others were dry and simply pushed into seams while others, during the baking process, flowed into seams and thin gaps.

Instead what I think your looking for is what others have used in similar situations without filling or eliminating the visual look more that what originally had been done

I'll see if I have some decent pictures to at least show some original seams for reference and a place to start. Will leave this in the general body area since the practices, process and practices span across the years.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:49:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Unfortunately the assembly manuals that are widely available do not include the assembly of the unibody.
I believe the "Weld And Sealant Manual" does. A 66 Mustang body is close enough to show what's required. There are hardware differences in door mounting, but everything else is good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Not sure how your going through the process but if your not shooting the car you might want to check with your paint or body guy to see what they have had success with and like to shoot over

Here are some pictures showing the final look of the process and also a couple of pictures showing the brazed spots you may want to reproduce on the car. Hope these help you and others

Rocker to quarter panel

Brazing at rear wheel well lip

Filler panel forward of trunk seam

Some times the brazing did not fill the gap completely so when the workers ground down the weld it was still visible at one or both ends. Seen it more often at the rear end of the seam as shown in the pictures below.

And a shot of the filler panel gap when pulled apart showing the small amount of sealer that was there - yes it has chipped and fallen off along the edge in a couple of spots . Not much of a gap between any of the panels to hold much sealer

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:46:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

Great pictures in this thread - thanks!

Which sealant do you guys recommend in these body panel gaps? In the past, I've epoxy primer first, followed by application of 3M fast-n-firm or similar "caulk tube" product. However, I've never been pleased with any of 3M's products for this purpose.... they spread terribly (and lumpy) and just don't tool out well even if you wet a gloved finger with lacquer thinner. I'm looking for similar products which other folks have had success with.
Thanks!