Author Topic: NOS Sand Paper and Used Coffee Cup  (Read 2455 times)

Offline 66GTCoupe

NOS Sand Paper and Used Coffee Cup
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »
OK, here is one, I just pulled the original carpet and underlayment out of my 66 Dearborn GT coupe  48k original miles, and under the original underlayment was an used ford dearborn assembly plant  coffee cup out of a vending machine with stale coffee,  that is orange and say's "quality is king, ford motor company" anybody ever seen one of those and also I guess the finnish sand paper that ford used in dearborn in 66, as I found stuck to the underlayment was Carborundom 360 wet/dry paper found 3 half sheets with the original suatern gold painted on top of the paper...  360 sand paper I don't think has been made in years.. I think its pretty cool just wondering if anyone else has come across anything like that.  will try and post some pictures tommorow

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: NOS Sand Paper and Used Coffee Cup
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
I have one of those (or similar) paper coffee cups somewhere.  I found it in a '65 under the carpet.

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
pictures below pretty cool

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:24:44 PM by 66GTCoupe »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »
Neat find
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dbm350

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »
    A few years ago I was restoring a 68 GT S code fastback. It was pretty unmolested, had been sitting since 1980. Texas car, so it was rust free. Under the front carpet and underlayment was the build sheet. It confirmed all the options on the car. There was a good sized lump under the carpet in the pass. side rear floor. When the underlayment was pulled up, a never installed interior door handle was laying there!  Under the rear seat, imbedded in seam sealer was a handful of nuts, bolts, screws, and a couple of interior fastback brackets. oh, also about .50 cents in change! pretty interesting what went on during assembly.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Do you still have that build sheet? Or maybe a copy of it. Since it was a Texas car originally like my 68 ex Texas car it probably would have been a Dearborn built car. I am looking for a copy of a 68 Dearborn built gt buildsheet. Would you care to share a copy of it via
 Email? It would be much appreciated. My car did not have it's build sheet and I'm at the point of detailing.

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
My father worked at a FORD dealer from 1963-1991 and he always talks about the quality control issues back then. He said cars would have squeaks and rattles all over and he would discover misc. parts, nuts and bolts etc.. rolling around inside doors, quarters etc.. Panel fit, water leaks and wind noise were also a big problem then. He said sometimes it would take a 8 hour day to get a new car ready for a customer. He also said by the time he retired in 1991, almost all of those issues were corrected and it would take less than a hour to get the car prepped. Quality control and engineering improvements have come along way.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007