Author Topic: 68 Dearborn base coupe wheel opening molding  (Read 617 times)

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
68 Dearborn base coupe wheel opening molding
« on: November 09, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
Was the chrome wheel opening molding a standard option for 1968 Dearborn coupe? If not a standard option, should it be listed in the Marti Report?

I don't know if I should put it on mine.

Thanks.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Dearborn base coupe wheel opening molding
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Wheel opening moldings were not a standard option. Prestrike there were part of the Sports Trim group. Post strike ( sometime in January 68) the wheel opening molding became a option with front and rear bumper guards when the Sports Trim group was discontinued. 
Hope this helps.

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
Thanks ruppstang. It helps a lot. Anyway I didn't want to put them on my car ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »
Wheel opening moldings were not a standard option. Prestrike there were part of the Sports Trim group. Post strike ( sometime in January 68) the wheel opening molding became a option with front and rear bumper guards when the Sports Trim group was discontinued. 
Hope this helps.

+1

That was my basic understanding but I couldn't figure out the right words to say it!

I was hoping Marty would chime in on this because he would be more inclined to have similar verbage to what might be in the MCA rules.  My verbage would have been more correct for a 67 year model so I was curious what he might have had to say about the option in the 68's

Thanks ruppstang. It helps a lot. Anyway I didn't want to put them on my car ;)

I wouldnt want to consider ADDING them either, considering the fact that the fitment and quality of aftermarket ones isn't  quite up to par at this time. Original replacement Ford mouldings can run often $800 these days so that wouldn't be much of a lure in my opinion. It would be nice to "not have to need these" on a 67 or 68 Mustang. All 68 Shelby's came with them on them, so you are competing against people who will pay the premium for the new ones.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:08:52 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments