Author Topic: 70 Dearborn - Firewall Insulation  (Read 921 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

70 Dearborn - Firewall Insulation
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
I didn't realize until reviewing my disassembly pics that there is only insulation applied against the inner shell above the fresh air vent on the PS and not the DS, is this standard or a bit unusual just like the black duct tape I found under the fresh air actuator (previous post). This insulation was definitely assembly line installed but as you can see in the pics only on the PS and looks to be much like the roof insulation material. Just to be clear this is a Dearborn built car and was built for the B6 Western Canada Ordering District. It also has the heavy tar paper and insulation floor liners about 3/8" thick, which I am told was installed only in cars built for colder climates.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:21:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: Firewall Insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
69 Dearborn Mach 1 to Shelby GT350. You can see where there was insulation on the drivers side as well.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Dearborn - Firewall Insulation
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »
Notice the cowl pad (as usual) appears to be gone and the roof insulation appears to be the typical one someone would expect to see

Will look at some pictures and offer some additional info

It also has the heavy tar paper and insulation floor liners about 3/8" thick, which I am told was installed only in cars built for colder climates.

Not exactly sure what your describing here. Typically cars that year and plant got the same (been used for years at that point) the jute with a tar layer about 1/2 thick though it can be found compressed thinner depending on where you measure and another 1/2 or 3/8" of jute attached to the back side of the carpet in areas like the floor sections

I've not heard or seen any additional products used based on where the car was delivered or in this case ordered from. If they had this would have been noted in the Ford records and turned up in Marti reports and the buildsheets would have some instruction for the workers to identify the car

There was additional sound deadener and insulation (if you compare them to other models) for the Grande and the Mach I package in 70

Did se a 69 car the other day that had a call out in the Ford records of having a "sound package" which I've not seen before.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:30:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
I apologize for the bad description, I called the topic firewall insulation but was referring to the insulation on the main side pillar post the door mounts to. I have added a couple of pictures one with the insulation in question circled and this was installed PS only. I have also circled in that picture the floor tar paper sound deadener and insulation in it which is very thick, and you are correct Jeff, as I have read somewhere previously this was pretty common in the Grande and other larger Ford cars.

The second picture is of the actual floor sound deadener and insulation exactly as it was when I removed the carpet. You can see in the picture that the thick product was used everywhere EXCEPT under the front seats, I had already removed the back seat SD and insulation and it was also the thick product. Again I had read somewhere on another site some time back that the thick SD and insulation was used primarily in builds for the northern states and Canada, and the thinner SD and insulation was used for builds in the warmer states. Again this is only what I read and from a cost perspective would make sense as the thicker product must have been more expensive.

An added note, my trunk also had the thinner SD and insulation in it and the rear axel hump had the thinner special tar paper over it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:36:22 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
I have 1 bad photo that looks a bit like where you have the insulation circled.

Your 2nd photo looks correct from what I have seen and the replacement that I purchased from ACC.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the input, have been unable to locate any of the original type insulation for this location or even any repro, so I used the repro REM sail panel material, made a template, cut to suit and use some 3M spray adhesive to attach.