Author Topic: 8 Track/Radio ID for 68 GT  (Read 1923 times)

Offline bullitt68

Re: 8 Track/Radio ID for 68 GT
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
Depending on the organization, since some allow mirrors and flashlights. ;) Agree the wiring is likely the easiest thing to notice on this sort of application/modification

Thanks Jeff I am relieved to know that I can keep my radio as is other than cleaning it up and possible re chroming some parts and finishes etc. It's also great that it is the correct unit for my car.
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 8 Track/Radio ID for 68 GT
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
Thanks Richard this is great information. I agree with all your suggestions and comments. FYI My 8 track and radio do play well. However I will have to do some work on the speakers. Unfortunately my car Currently has 6x9 speakers installed in the rear side panels, but the good news is I found a pair of used panels that I will replace them with. The dash speaker is completely disintegrated and I need to check the side speakers in the doors as they were not connected. The under dash wiring harness has been butchered by someone, so I do have some work to do. I have been considering the idea of getting some new wiring harnesses or restoring my originals or sending them out to be restored if there is someone who does that kind of work. I am relieved however that my radio and some other parts that I originally thought were not original or correct are turning out to in fact be correct, original and fall within the right date range.

I would think if your car is a factory-equipped 8-track car, there wouldn't typically be a dash speaker so that may need to be removed. My understanding is that all the AM/8-Track cars only had door speakers from the factory. Dealer or P.O. Installs, would have likely left the dash speaker in place (un-used).

Otherwise, if you decide to go the closest to "Concours" route as you can with converted internals, you might speak directly with a company who does these conversions, perhaps ask if there is any way to get the chassis re-plated zinc too. I do not believe that the majority of these "Conversion Shops" get involved in the plating process so this could be a huge obstical. The 8-track tape door often takes a beating too so it probably needs replated chrome and then repainted semi-gloss black as well. I would think the conversion company could already have suitable plug-in leads on hand that they previously removed from other conversions. If not, you may need to locate them to supply those. The Aurora Design conversion (for an example) is fairly compatible to many, many configurations and they can customize it to your personal tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if they could configure it to the original AM-ONLY with Tape, as was original (though the 'switching function' between the tape and the radio function may differ than original, I do not know). Regardless, there are ways to take your "Date Correct" original radio chassis and restore it to a "Concours-Looking Unit" at very least. For a "Driver Car", this route is probably very desirable. As stated in my other reply, this route probably not well-suited for a "Concours Trailered" or "Thoroughbred" class restoration.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments