Author Topic: Reference Manuals  (Read 614 times)

Offline bullitt68

Reference Manuals
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
Just curious if these are good reference manuals as I recently ordered them. Are these the go to reference manuals?
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Reference Manuals
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:11:43 PM »
Not IMHO the "go too" guide for everything so no easy button here. They are great reference pieces that you will see others refer to often. They are not 100%  correct as to how the cars were built and how different plants or running changes affected the final car but they were what Ford wanted to be done when each page was printed and at least until another page came along to replace the page we have access to.

Suggest that you use it as a guide but often check details from cars built the same plant and same time period before you do anything big ;)  We see show cars from time to time that were built only using the assembly manuals and they tend to stand out because they do look different from the real cars in a number of ways.

Nothing so far can replace a combination of resources and references all used in conjunction with one another including a good forum where pictures, findings and discussions gain you access to the latest understanding of how to best build you car if you choose to.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:14:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Yes. They are what Ford engineering designed to be Mustangs. They occasionally reflect running changes but they do not show plant differences, or assembly line "oddities". On the other hand, they provide a common reference point to ask questions and for you to make a "redline" correction for your own Mustang's "oddity".
If you look in the Library, you will find topics - Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 67-68 - that are keyed to the Assembly Manuals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
A couple of additional good things I found in the Mustang Assembly Manuals, the items are listed in assembly order, item 1 is the first to be installed, item 2 is second. Another is the installation and alignment procedures for windows. Just about every other document is based on those manuals. Some are not very good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
A couple of additional good things I found in the Mustang Assembly Manuals, the items are listed in assembly order, item 1 is the first to be installed, item 2 is second. Another is the installation and alignment procedures for windows. Just about every other document is based on those manuals. Some are not very good.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I cant wait to go pick mine up. I am sure that they will come in pretty hand when I start putting my car together
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
Yes. They are what Ford engineering designed to be Mustangs. They occasionally reflect running changes but they do not show plant differences, or assembly line "oddities". On the other hand, they provide a common reference point to ask questions and for you to make a "redline" correction for your own Mustang's "oddity".

+1 My copies are full of notes, arrows and cross throughs. :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)