Author Topic: Drive Shaft Stripes 1968 GT 390 4 Speed  (Read 1330 times)

Offline bullitt68

Drive Shaft Stripes 1968 GT 390 4 Speed
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:29:27 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct colors are for a 1968 GT 390 Drive Shaft. I was able to see the location of the previous stripes but there was no evidence remaining of the stripe color unfortunately. I tried to find a definitive answer but so far I have come up empty handed. I have seen some other drive shafts painted red for the single stripe at the end and them a green, pink and white respectively in the middle area.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 02:36:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drive Shaft Stripes 1968 GT 390
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:28:27 AM »
Reminding others that may read this thread that you have a late 4 speed 390 car.

Looking at the info I have. From what should be the front to rear I can make out from a later car with a sequential number of 167xxx

Light Blue, Dark Blue, Pink

A short description of the marking process and purpose in the article on Paint Marks in the Library. And of course there is the article on restoring the drivelines also in the Library

Ends would have been orange before they were welded to the tube  so the paint would be burnt around the weld edge

By 68 you can find an additional stripe often applied for some other reason than identification.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct colors are for a 1969 GT 390 Drive Shaft. I was able to see the location of the previous stripes but there was no evidence remaining of the stripe color unfortunately. I tried to find a definitive answer but so far I have come up empty handed. I have seen some other drive shafts painted red for the single stripe at the end and them a green, pink and white respectively in the middle area.

Thanks
Given the heading and your past questions I assume you meant 68 and not 1969 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
Reminding others that may read this thread that you have a late 4 speed 390 car.

Looking at the info I have. From what should be the front to rear I can make out from a later car with a sequential number of 167xxx

A short description of the marking process and purpose in the article on Paint Marks in the Library. And of course there is the article on restoring the drivelines also in the Library

Ends would have been orange before they were welded to the tube  so the paint would be burnt around the weld edge

By 68 you can find an additional stripe often applied for some other reason than identification.

Thanks Jeff. Now I just need to try to match some paint to the correct shades of the stripes
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
Given the heading and your past questions I assume you meant 68 and not 1969 .

You are correct. Sorry about that Bob it was a typo. I have now corrected it
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »

Hi Jeff should I assume that the order of the stripes as you described them, here is an example. Also what about the thin black stripe would that apply to my car as well. Is there any explanation on what the colors mean
Mike

Online ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
Here is a drive shaft from a 68 428 CJ that I am working on.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Here is a drive shaft from a 68 428 CJ that I am working on.

Very nice. Looks to be the same sheen as mine. I still need to do the gun blue on the centre seam and the end welds. What do you know about the color codes. I have not been able to confirm what they mean. Jeff told me what color the stripes should be. Also are there specific paints that are to be used to obtain the correct color.

Also on my drive shaft there is a very thin line between the lager stripes. Have you seen that thin line before. I don't know what color it should be.

So far I cant make any sense of the stripe color code, as it seems to me that every diff I see a photo of not only are the colors different, but also the stripes are in different places
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:36:16 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi Jeff should I assume that the order of the stripes as you described them, here is an example.

???

Also what about the thin black stripe would that apply to my car as well.

Not sure what the application is in the picture but no I would not at that point. Just as likely to not be correct for your car and if you put it on your car someone is going to assume that you know something or copied from your original driveline and then they put it on their driveline , then someone else does the same thing ....... You get the idea.  Rather not put on something that isn't anchored in study and documentation than guess and mislead someone else or have to tell them "don't copy that" if they look. Its simple to add one later once you have more reason and information.

Is there any explanation on what the colors mean

Other than the identification stripes (to identify them from all the other drivelines installed on the line that year) the other stripes may have identified if they were balanced, who balanced it, how inspected it, which plant (if there were multiple) built the driveline ......... could be allot of different possibilities

be happy we've got the identification colors for your car/application. We can't say that for everyone's car nor have we shared much of this in years past publically
Jeff Speegle

Online ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
Very nice. Looks to be the same sheen as mine. I still need to do the gun blue on the centre seam and the end welds. What do you know about the color codes. I have not been able to confirm what they mean. Jeff told me what color the stripes should be. Also are there specific paints that are to be used to obtain the correct color.

Also on my drive shaft there is a very thin line between the lager stripes. Have you seen that thin line before. I don't know what color it should be.

So far I cant make any sense of the stripe color code, as it seems to me that every diff I see a photo of not only are the colors different, but also the stripes are in different places

I do not know what the color codes mean other than to tell the line worker which one he needed to use. I am very carful to look for the colors as I start cleaning the metal. I document the location and colors then I use Testers model paint that I mix to get close to the color I found. On the ends  I use Rust Oleum Redwood semi gloss. Have you search for the build sheet? That is your best hope of finding the correct colors.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 10:31:57 PM »
Going to need to be real lucky to find a buildsheet on his San Jose car.   

BTW the marks I provided above were from late 68 S code 4 speed buildsheets

Here is a number of examples of the end yoke colors I've got pictures of for 68 big blocks. These, in person, were a strong true orange which would match very closely Testor and many other oranges straight out of a jar or bottle. Will take a number of bottles if you use Testor

This one shared earlier in another thread

Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 11:46:12 PM »
Going to need to be real lucky to find a buildsheet on his San Jose car.   

BTW the marks I provided above were from late 68 S code 4 speed buildsheets

Here is a number of examples of the end yoke colors I've got pictures of for 68 big blocks. These, in person, were a strong true orange which would match very closely Testor and many other oranges straight out of a jar or bottle. Will take a number of bottles if you use Testor

This one shared earlier in another thread

Thanks Jeff. I did take note and photos of my drive shaft before I stripped it and also the yoke and U joints. I did notice the orange there as well as some blue. FYI i did find my build sheet wrapped around the wiring harness under the dash, but it is almost all disintegrated or was eaten by mice
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:46:42 PM »
I do not know what the color codes mean other than to tell the line worker which one he needed to use. I am very carful to look for the colors as I start cleaning the metal. I document the location and colors then I use Testers model paint that I mix to get close to the color I found. On the ends  I use Rust Oleum Redwood semi gloss. Have you search for the build sheet? That is your best hope of finding the correct colors.

Thanks for that info it is very helpful
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »
FYI i did find my build sheet wrapped around the wiring harness under the dash, but it is almost all disintegrated or was eaten by mice

Wow very lucky. And an unusual place to find one given where your car was built.  Consider using mist/steam and take your time when you get around to trying to unfold yours.
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 12:21:27 AM »
Wow very lucky. And an unusual place to find one given where your car was built.  Consider using mist/steam and take your time when you get around to trying to unfold yours.

Thanks Jeff. Some of the build sheet is still stuck to the metal under the dash. I found it odd when I saw some paper stuck to the bracket above where the steering column mounts. When I saw the words Los Angeles I figured that it might be the build sheet. I will try to get some photos of it
Mike