Author Topic: Firewall metal clip for vacuum hoses - is it something that was San Jose only?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline RoyceP

I was looking at another thread on this site and it showed this clip on the firewall of several unrestored 67 - 68's. So I went out to my two '68 Cougars, both Dearborn cars. Neither had factory AC if that matters. Anyway, they both have a plastic clip approximately where this metal clip is shown in those photos. Is it a non - Dearborn thing, or was it triggered by something else?

The clip in the photos came from my old spare hardware stash. Stuff that mostly came from junk yards back in the 1980's. I made a habit of collecting stuff that I didn't think would ever be reproduced.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

This may be what you are looking for.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

That's what I have - what are the three hoses in the drawing for? My car has no air conditioning. It does have tilt away but I don't think the vacuum hoses for tilt go through that clip.

Offline jwc66k

Looking at the 67 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, it appears to be for the tilt steering wheel, vacuum from the manifold to the can in the wheel well, and two lines to the tilt wheel.
JIm
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

There are only two vacuum lines for the tilt. One (the black one) goes from the manifold to the wheel well can. The other (green - white stripe) goes from the can to the control valve on the lower dash next to the column. Both are supported from the shock tower brace on the passenger side, nothing else is shown.

Looking at the manual I don't see that clip anywhere. What are you looking at?

Offline RoyceP

OK I found it. It's in the 1968 Mustang Select Air Vacuum Schematic. That's why neither of my cars has one or needs one. It's for factory air cars only.

Offline jwc66k

I'm referring to the 1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, AM0018 pg 76 (reference engineering drawing No E7-6650-2) view D. There are are two other pages in the 67 manual, and three pages referenced in the 68 manual. Check part number 358352-S in the "67-68 Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 67-68" in the library. There are also 69 and 70 Mustang applications.
I'm not a plumber. You're on your own from here.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

I did - that's where I noticed in the application column it said "AIR COND VACUUM HOSE CLAMP-FIREWALL". Which led me to figure out it was not used on non - AC applications.

Also the drawing that you posted said the same thing.

I'm referring to the 1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, AM0018 pg 76 (reference engineering drawing No E7-6650-2) view D. There are are two other pages in the 67 manual, and three pages referenced in the 68 manual. Check part number 358352-S in the "67-68 Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 67-68" in the library. There are also 69 and 70 Mustang applications.
I'm not a plumber. You're on your own from here.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

Did you follow the three vacuum lines that are routed thru the clip? I can only assume that the descriptions Ford used for the origin and destination of the lines are accurate.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

Yes, if you look at the vacuum schematic that I posted on the other thread you can see that those vacuum lines - one big one and two small ones - are devoted solely to air conditioning and nothing else.

Did you follow the three vacuum lines that are routed thru the clip? I can only assume that the descriptions Ford used for the origin and destination of the lines are accurate.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

I'm not disagreeing with you, the book and page I referred to (the 1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, AM0018 pg 76 (reference engineering drawing No E7-6650-2) view D) shows the lines used for the tilt wheel. Woe be it to Ford to use that clip for more than one purpose.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I was looking at another thread on this site and it showed this clip on the firewall of several unrestored 67 - 68's. So I went out to my two '68 Cougars, both Dearborn cars. Neither had factory AC if that matters. Anyway, they both have a plastic clip approximately where this metal clip is shown in those photos. Is it a non - Dearborn thing, or was it triggered by something else?

Little confused with your initial question. Are you asking if the retainer was used at all plants, which years, for what applications?   Or are you instead asking about what would be used on your specific application or what applications with this sheet metal bracket be used on?

Sorry as stated I'm a bit confused about what your looking for and if I try to answer one of the above it may only confuse things more.

Don't think the answer to any of the about can be found in the Assembly manuals ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

I don't have that. You ought to post a photo.

I'm not disagreeing with you, the book and page I referred to (the 1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, AM0018 pg 76 (reference engineering drawing No E7-6650-2) view D) shows the lines used for the tilt wheel. Woe be it to Ford to use that clip for more than one purpose.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

Initially I posted the question because I didn't realize that it had nothing to do with tilt steering. It's strictly for AC vacuum hoses. It's been many years - about thirty - since I restored a car with AC.

Little confused with your initial question. Are you asking if the retainer was used at all plants, which years, for what applications?   Or are you instead asking about what would be used on your specific application or what applications with this sheet metal bracket be used on?

Sorry as stated I'm a bit confused about what your looking for and if I try to answer one of the above it may only confuse things more.

Don't think the answer to any of the about can be found in the Assembly manuals ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Initially I posted the question because I didn't realize that it had nothing to do with tilt steering. It's strictly for AC vacuum hoses. It's been many years - about thirty - since I restored a car with AC.

Did find that that retainer (the rubber coated strap steel metal strap) was used for holding in place tilt hose in some of the application mentioned so that is why I asked. ;)

Because of that I would not agree that it had nothing to do with the tilt steering hoses for the applications mentioned in the first post. One of the challenges when we look at too many years and plants all in the same question I believe.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:52:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)