Author Topic: Any way to tell the difference between an original '65 starter cable and repro?  (Read 557 times)

Offline 21.04

I've got a few C5 starter cables that I'm comparing details to each other.  For the most part, they look similar and don't appear to be repros.  Does anyone know a few signs that distinguish an original from repros Martiworks is making such as font, terminal ends, length of cable ect?  I used to have one from Marti but have sold it some time ago.  I recall the original script printed on the cable was actually more of a silver colored paint than a bright white, and the font had two thin lines that you almost need a magnifying glass to see that.  Not just a solid font that's all filled in.  I appreciate any insight.

-Matt
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:39:06 PM by carlite65 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline jwc66k

I got two C5ZF-144031-A in front of me, both from Oct build San Jose 66 Mustangs (San Jose using up old inventory). The markings are faint; the insulators gone (two used for C5 cables); the clamps were reused; one says Canada, the other does not; both say SX and FOMOCO. All four terminals appear to have been dipped in hot solder which covered any terminal markings. (I have a 66 reproduction cable that has a terminal marking.) Three of the four terminals are round, the fourth has a small tab, 1/8 x 1/64 inch.
What I've found is that the repro clamps and insulators are the giveaway, especially the insulators. It's a "subjective" observation, you can either see  the differences or you can't.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.