Author Topic: Eastwood 2K engine paint  (Read 3372 times)

Offline rare70cat

Eastwood 2K engine paint
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »
Anybody used Eastwood's 2K engine paint to check color correctness? This is a two stage paint that has the same durability as "spray gun" paint. I have seen the PPG formula here for engine paint/color but not everybody has access to this equipment and regular rattle can (VHT,Plasticote) doesn't have two stage durability.

Offline rare70cat

Re: Eastwood 2K engine paint
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
489 views and nobody has used the eastwood 2k? I guess I'll buy a can and check it against the plastikote 224.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:09:56 PM by rare70cat »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »
Haven't used it since I didn't like the results/tint.

Just my take on the product
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:30:24 PM »
You talking Corperate Blue? I used it and liked the color, shine and ease of use. I had run out of my PPG paint and used that. Would use it again.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
We had this in another forum. The color wasn't correct and I wouldn't use Plasticolor. What matched my O/E paint samples in a spray can closest was Dupli-color DE1621, Ford Old Blue. The other they offer is much too dark which is ford Dark Blue and the Ford Light Blue is far too light. Make sure your surfaces are spotless. I laid down four coats of color and their high temp clear coat. I prefer a little more gloss because dust doesn't seem to adhere as easily and grease wipes off easier.

-Keith

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 06:05:41 PM »
Here is a 460 valve cover I painted using the eastwood 2k engine paint. This is pic was taken on my front porch with natural light.

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »
So what is the current (2020) / correct line of Ford corporate blue catalyzed engine paint? Omni?

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
A side by side, with some of the other choices, would make an opinion a bit easier.  Your valve cover example looks a bit light ?  I am using the ' FORD Dark Blue ' Dupli-Color' engine enamel 1606 and satisfied with the color and longevity. Appreciate your investigation.  Brian
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:39:23 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »
Yea I can't find the plastikote 224 locally. Found it online. I found this video very informative. www.hotrod.com/articles/get-right-ford-engine-paint/

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
Yea I can't find the plastikote 224 locally. Found it online. I found this video very informative. www.hotrod.com/articles/get-right-ford-engine-paint/

Yes used the Platikote for years and was always a good match. Moved on to two part paint for longevity.

See our own Charles Turner got a mention in the video clip :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Went to PPG auto paint store in Savannah,GA. Bought a quart and mixing components for OMNI 13358. See attached pics. The Eastwood is close. Maybe a shade or two lighter? You be the judge. The first picture is under BRIGHT LED lighting in my garage. The second picture is next to the valve cover under the same LED lighting. The third picture is outside on the front porch and the last is the OMNI can with formula. It is AMAZING how much difference there is in monitors/colors. I received an order from Dead nuts on today. I bought the steering column bushing for the reverse lockout rod. Looking at the monitor it looks lime green on their website. In actuality it looks like a light olive green. Watching the Hotrod video on engine paint the PPG and OMNI look like they are royal blue. What's in the OMNI can is definitely NOT royal blue.

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »
Check out this Bob Perkins video on low mile Boss 429 under carriage detailing. Look at the engine color. video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=bob+perkins+extreme+mustang+undercarriage+detailing#id=1&vid=7c28462cfd4d0ee00d05b8d1bea35578&action=click

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 06:41:33 PM »
The more I look at it the more I think the Eastwood is spot on!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »
................ Looking at the monitor it looks lime green on their website. In actuality it looks like a light olive green. Watching the Hotrod video on engine paint the PPG and OMNI look like they are royal blue. What's in the OMNI can is definitely NOT royal blue.

Yes the challenge and problem of using these sources IMHO as a guide. Too many variables in the camera settings, lighting, your monitor settings and so on.
Jeff Speegle

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
So looking for comments between the two samples. The engine parts are painted in Eastwood 2k engine paint and the sample of the open can of OMNI, which is the gold standard. How close do you think the two are?