Author Topic: 67 interior color  (Read 3297 times)

Offline mach1one

67 interior color
« on: July 30, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
What color should the black be on the 67 san jose interiors. I've noticed that early cars had the semi gloss and later cars had the charcoal metallic. Any judges or experts know when the cutoff or change date was? Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 interior color
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
What color should the black be on the 67 san jose interiors. I've noticed that early cars had the semi gloss and later cars had the charcoal metallic. Any judges or experts know when the cutoff or change date was? Thanks Lu

The start of the 67 production year marked the start of the use of Dark Charcoal Metallic (which Ford called black) on the Mustang and Shelbys
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:08:01 AM »
What color should the seat backs be in 67? Charcoal or semigloss black in a black interior car?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »
What color should the seat backs be in 67? Charcoal or semigloss black in a black interior car?
The hard backs ,lower seat side pieces and the kick panels where all semigloss black . The rest of the interior (besides the vinyl on the seats and door panels) was the dark charcoal metallic. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline MaserGT

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
The rest of the interior (besides the vinyl on the seats and door panels) was the dark charcoal metallic. Bob

For clarification on the doors, the metal perimeter would be dark charcoal metallic and the vinyl soft trim panel would be semi-gloss. Correct?
Another quality post brought to you by MaserGT from/ uit/ uut/ aus/ de Vancouver, Canada.

7R02A239___ Dark Moss Green w/ Parchment Dlx, 4 speed - on going project.

Offline LSTCUP

• www.1967mustangcoupe.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
getting ready to paint the black interior on the 67, does anyone have the code for Dark Charcoal Metallic paint, PPG or ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
getting ready to paint the black interior on the 67, does anyone have the code for Dark Charcoal Metallic paint, PPG or ?

Not that it may be any use today (with the changes in products and toners allot of companies have not reformulated all the older colors)

Originally - Ditzler #32586 & (for the windshield moulding/dash pad retainer)  #32651

And depending on the mix (it can be very light on the solids) you may find using a semi-gloss base over the panels help out allot (done this on all black interiors for 25+ yrs) so that you don't have to put on multiple coats and fill the grain details in ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
Jeff,

If you don't mind me asking, what source did you use for the second Ditzler color? My 1967 Ditzler Interior swatch chart has the  #32586 Charcoal Black Poly. but makes no mention of the #32651.

The reason I'm asking is that I've run into a similar situation for the 1966 interior color on red cars where the all red interior Ditzler #71541 obviously has a darker dash pad area color - but no mention is made of the shade.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st