Author Topic: Cowl Box Restoration Question  (Read 1103 times)

Offline bullitt68

Cowl Box Restoration Question
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »
Just curious what guys are doing to restore the inside of the cowl box. I am assuming that they cut it open somewhere, then blast/or strip it and then paint it and weld it back up. Mine is rough inside and has probably been painted over a few times. No rust in there at all, just a very rough black finish from dry overspray. Question is should I just leave it, paint over it or cut it open. I was thinking of cutting it open from inside the dash to blast it, then weld it back up, but can't figure out the best way to ho and figured people here must have already been through the process and could advise on the best way to perform this task.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:21:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Cowl Box Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »
What you describe is very typical of a cowl.  Unless there are holes due to rust around the lower vents that require repairs, it is probably best to leave it be.  There are about a 100 spot welds holding the upper and lower cowl sections together, and this is a major PITA to remove and weld back together correctly, one, if not the most difficult, jobs on a Mustang.  Some have cut sections on the side of the cowls to access the interior, using a painting wand for rust conversion and paint, or to fix minor rust holes around the vents. 

These cowls were never painted inside and what you are seeing is overspray from various painting events. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Cowl Box Restoration
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:28:30 PM »
What you describe is very typical of a cowl.  Unless there are holes due to rust around the lower vents that require repairs, it is probably best to leave it be.  There are about a 100 spot welds holding the upper and lower cowl sections together, and this is a major PITA to remove and weld back together correctly, one, if not the most difficult, jobs on a Mustang.  Some have cut sections on the side of the cowls to access the interior, using a painting wand for rust conversion and paint, or to fix minor rust holes around the vents. 

These cowls were never painted inside and what you are seeing is overspray from various painting events.

Great thanks. That is pretty well what my painter said as well. I thought it would be a much easier job than that, but my c ar has no rust just dry overspray ij there that does not look pretty. Sounds like most people don't touch it unless it is really necessary
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968