Author Topic: Control Arm finish  (Read 7777 times)

Offline John Quinn

Control Arm finish
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »
I am interested in learning about the process of restoring the natural steel finish on control arms, 68s in particular.  The natural steel finish is said to involve tumbling, along with other prep and final finishing processes.  There are a lot of choices when it comes to Tumbler media, green, brown, rust cutting, plastic pyramids and so on.  Does anyone have a restoration process recipe for restoring the natural finish they could share?

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Control Arm finish
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
I use a large tumbler with angle cut ceramic media.  Does a wonderful job at getting the proper finish of the metal.  Of course, this assumes the control arms aren't heavily rust-pitted.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:42:57 AM »
Allot depends on how bad they are to start. If you can its best just to remove the grease and old paint then brighten up the formed edges and oil them from there (painting the details if needed for the year you are working on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »
Here are my upper control arms. These were super nice rust free examples I got from Marcus Angel. These were restored and installed by Pete Morgan and tumbled in media that Charles referred to.

Added photos of how they looked before. Ken Bramblett in Indiana did the rivets.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:35:33 AM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 04:09:12 AM »

It probably would have been useful if we had before and after pictures....I dont have them handy now to post what these arms looked like before.  But having a clean part to start with is always going to make a difference in the end.  I just finished a set of original tie rods and the before and after difference is amazing.  Any type of pitting will be difficult, but not impossible, to clean up depending on how bad it is.  Depends how much time and money you want to invest in pieces. 
And I agree, an industrial tumbler is key to restoring suspension pieces.  I use a 3 cu ft tumbler with angle cut grey ceramic media as well. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
Marcus, Just added the before photos.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
Sunlit I was hoping to find out how you found the original color for the daub on your front shock?  Did you have a build sheet?

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
TLea told me... evidently this is a commonly known fact among the MCA judges.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Richard,

I happen to have a few copies of 67 & 68 build sheets from no- to low-option 289 Mustangs. In all cases the shock code color is red (front & rear) and the rear spring mark is silver. Since John's car is a low-option 68 and he has yet to share his build sheet with me  ;) , I went with my experience on the color.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
my front shock code is the letter "E"
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
Richard,

I happen to have a few copies of 67 & 68 build sheets from no- to low-option 289 Mustangs. In all cases the shock code color is red (front & rear) and the rear spring mark is silver.................

Also have a number of low optioned 67's with 2 silver or silver and red  (depending on engine, trans and body type)  as well as the single silver. All with the basic red shocks
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
Jeff are you refering to front spring striping or rear spring/ Sounds like front but just wondering.

Offline dan green

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rare Parts in Stockton CA.
I have had them do several sets of control arms for me.  They media blast them and then tumble, clear coat them and even dip the lowers.  I send original spring perches and idler arms too.  I think they do a great job.
Here is a set I had done a few weeks ago.
I am doing a 67 SJ convert "S" code auto and I found 2 large white stripes on the rear springs.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rare Parts in Stockton CA.
I have had them do several sets of control arms for me.  They media blast them and then tumble, clear coat them and even dip the lowers.  I send original spring perches and idler arms too.  I think they do a great job.

Some of their products are really nice IMHO while others they are still working on.  And make sure you are clear as to how you want things finished -  don't want clear powder coating if your going to show the car in concours somewhere ;)

I am doing a 67 SJ convert "S" code auto and I found 2 large white stripes on the rear springs.

Getting slightly off subject - what numbers are on those springs - if you would. Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline dan green

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Like I said, I have been happy with the control arms they have done for me.  Let them know what your intention is for the parts and they can tumble and dip them, that is what they do for me.  I have seen the powder coat that they do and it looks ok at best, but you can definitely tell it is not bare metal.  I like that they have clear coated them after tumbling because I hate to see the metal left unprotected even if the car will never be driven.

As for the rear springs the numbers are as follows:
C7ZA
5556-AA
Gl-6F

And for conversation sake if anyone wants to know the front spring strip colors were as follows with the spring upside down from left to right:
white       purple  gold
And spaced about like that.