Author Topic: Control Arm finish  (Read 7779 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Control Arm finish
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
Like I said, I have been happy with the control arms they have done for me.  Let them know what your intention is for the parts and they can tumble and dip them, that is what they do for me.

Yes good bunch of guys - they are about 8 mins from me and I've trying to help get some of their reproduction stuff in line with our expectations. Other than a couple of stampings their 67-69 (small suspension) tie rods look really good IMHO

Thanks for the spring numbers - will help the marks line up with some additional facts

And for conversation sake if anyone wants to know the front spring strip colors were as follows with the spring upside down from left to right:
white       purple  gold
And spaced about like that.

IN a case like this the white color would not have been part of the color markings to identify the springs to an application but instead (from my understanding) there were for certain springs that checked out at the bottom or top of the spring rate range  - over or under marks if you will. So not all (or not most) of cars like yours would have had any more than the purple gold stripes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dan green

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
If this topic is not dead,
what should the color daub be on shocks (front and rear) for an "S" code convert SJ car PS no AC?
Black shocks what color daubs????

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
If this topic is not dead,
what should the color daub be on shocks (front and rear) for an "S" code convert SJ car PS no AC?
Black shocks what color daubs????

Dan we have strayed a fair amount from the original question, which will make it hard for people looking for shock daubs to find. Why don't you start a new topic in what ever year it directly relates to. BTW is the car a 67, 68 or 69?

GT or non-GT?

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the great photos I'm working on my first restoration and this is really helpful.  What did rare parts charge for this service.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the great photos I'm working on my first restoration and this is really helpful.  What did rare parts charge for this service.

Not sure what the current cost is - will check.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
I use a large tumbler with angle cut ceramic media.  Does a wonderful job at getting the proper finish of the metal.  Of course, this assumes the control arms aren't heavily rust-pitted.
There you go bragging about your big tumbler again ;D . All Kidding aside I have a small 1x2 foot box with metal shot that i use and it makes unpitted metal look as fresh as the day it was formed. I just havn't found a used large tumbler for control arms and strut rods. A 30 inch hopper is what i am told will do the trick.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby