Author Topic: paint; omni line vs very expensive ppg line  (Read 1559 times)

Offline big bad blue

paint; omni line vs very expensive ppg line
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
 Doing a 1970 Grabber Blue car and want a killer paint job. I have used Omni in the past with good results, single stage.  This car will be BC/CC or maybe a single stage/clear. My question is, is the expensive line worth the difference? 58 dollars vs 256 dollars a quart. At least 3 quarts. Freaking stuff must have Gold/Platinum/Ceramic/silver in it. Don't get me wrong I would pay up if it was a great difference. But I don't want to pay Cobra Jet price for a Six cylinder.
 Second half question, Why is it so expensive? The reason I am concerned is Grabber Blue is kind of an on the edge paint. Some really like it, some really don't. Seen some I like, some not so much. Actually the ones I like aren't probably correct. Thanks for your time.
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: paint; omni line vs very expensive ppg line
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 11:44:58 PM »
I've shot Omni before and I really liked it. It seemed like a good value for the car I was repairing. The base coat/clear turned out really nice.
In talking with my painter he says the difference isn't in the quality of the finish when just shot. It's in how long it lasts before dulling out.

I had the Boss shot over 25 years ago. It's done in PPG (Deltron, I believe) and the paint still looks great.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 01:01:35 AM »
For cars that are relatively sheltered and kept out of the elements, paint longevity isn't as much of a factor.

I'm sure there are other factors that play into paint cost/quality though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Pic of Omni BC/CC applied to a car.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline rrenz

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
as a professional painter I've sprayed omni. its a decent paint and lays out nice. if your looking in that direction nason is another one of my favorites. just shot some on my 01 convertible. like previously mentioned for a car that will be babied I think any paint will stand the test of time. once sanded and buffed out I can make the cheapest paint look like a high dollar job. for a car outside exposed to the elements thats another story. you then start to get into UV protection and so on...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:03:04 PM by rrenz »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »
I've shot both Omni and PPG single stage. The difference I quickly noticed was that PPG covered with less product and contains more solids than Omni. I used more Omni to get same coverage. Additionally when using black Omni it did begin to fade after 3 years, (on a vehicle which is left outside in S. Florida).

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
IDK why but I do feel your pain(t).
I bought 6 quarts of Deltron for my Coupe about 1-1/2 years ago with the idea I'd have enough left over for any "just in case" situations...OUCH! (add on for the high-end PPG clear :O ).
You might imagine the look on my face when the painter asked for an additional 2 quarts! (and the price went up almost 20% from initial purchase).

Well, I DO NOW HAVE 3 -quarts leftover so that sheet better last indefinitely at that price! I thought a quart "buffer" would be adequate and my estimations were spot-on at 6 quarts.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
On daily drivers type cars I've not had luck with Omni and long term ( three year or more) exposure to sun light in the west

Just my experience - Guess that is why its cheaper  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtboss302

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »
I've used them both and the above comments are true.  The expensive ppg paint has more pigments in it and the coverage is MUCH better and takes less material. Also if you aren't an experienced painter, the more coats of paint you have to apply for coverage, the more chances for mistakes and also the more chance you have for dust or anything else to get in the paint.  While the omni is more like water and takes more paint to cover.  BUT it is much cheaper.  My ppg dealer obviously carries the cheap omni and also shopline.  They actually advised that I could save lots of $$$ by using the shopline paint which is much cheaper and then using a good ppg clear for much better protection.  For a driver I would do that, but for an expensive restoration I just pay the piper and shell out the big bucks.   It's not something you can go back and change....at least not easily