Author Topic: 1967 Oil Pressure switch wiring and harness-small block  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Z67Fback

1967 Oil Pressure switch wiring and harness-small block
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »
I need to replace the wiring to the Oil pressure switch on my Metuchen built 1967 Mustang Fastback with 289, power steering. no tachometer,no ac.

What is the correct 'connection 'to the oil pressure switch, I see most of the parts house have a harness with 'push on connectors" Is that correct. Currently my lead has a circular terminal that is fastened underneath a nut on the switch terminal. Any pictures on correct connection, correct harness and routing would be awesome. Thank you
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:43:02 AM by Z67Fback »
1967 Fastback, C Code, 4 Sp MT, 7T02C226959 Build Date 4/11/67. Built in Metuchen, NJ

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Oil Pressure switch wiring and harness-small block
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:07:59 AM »
Tachometer or without?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »
I need to replace the wiring to the Oil pressure switch on my Metuchen built 1967 Mustang Fastback with 289, power steering  and no ac.

What is the correct 'connection 'to the oil pressure switch, I see most of the parts house have a harness with 'push on connectors" Is that correct. Currently my lead has a circular terminal that is fastened underneath a nut on the switch terminal. Any pictures on correct connection, correct harness and routing would be awesome. Thank you
if it has a oil pressure gauge and not a idiot light then the 67 oil pressure sender typically has a terminal (for lack of a better description at the moment)shaped like a mushroom . It has a round disk on top that the factory wiring harness connector slides over the small disc top. I think 67 is the only year this type was used . The other years senders had a straight threaded stud terminal . It sounds like someone made a adapter so that another sender would work on your 67.I don't have my picture files handy but here is a ebay auction with one the demonstrate the terminal .  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-MERCURY-COUGAR-OIL-PRESSURE-SENDER-NEW-2469/371005867119   .  Disregard the description because this type will only fit a 67 harness because of the mushroom terminal.I have a NOS Ford sender that I could sell if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Z67Fback

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:42:29 AM »
No tachometer
1967 Fastback, C Code, 4 Sp MT, 7T02C226959 Build Date 4/11/67. Built in Metuchen, NJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 12:03:07 PM »
No tachometer
The difference is if it has a gauge vs. a idiot light . The idiot light sender is a small button switch which turns a light on and off . The pressure gauge sender is barrel shaped with a slight cone top like the ebay link picture. The gauge shows variations in pressure 0-60 etc.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 03:17:54 PM »
No tachometer

Good then your car would have had a sender with a threaded post rather than one that accepts a slide attachment on the end of the wire.

Pictures I have of cars show a 45 degree push on boot in that application

A related TSB from 67 explaing the change and identification of the different sending units at that point

TSB was originally posted here in another thread but it solely focused on cars with the tachometer in 67
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:20:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
Good then your car would have had a sender with a threaded post rather than one that accepts a slide attachment on the end of the wire.

Pictures I have of cars show a 45 degree push on boot in that application

A related TSB from 67 explaing the change and identification of the different sending units at that point

TSB was originally posted here in another thread but it solely focused on cars with the tachometer in 67
I am not sure if the TSB has a wrong illustration or if a change over occurred or what? I have seen a number of the slide one connector wiring harness's on V8 Mustangs that used a sender that looked like this . It is my understanding that disc top of the terminal is a 67 only feature.  I know you can choose to change your engine gauge feed harness or buy a adapter from NPD to run the typical threaded post send instead of the disc type. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »
Agree that the drawings may be misleading (generic drawings borrowed from something else - like the shop manuals do at times) since the focus of the TSB is not on the attachment but on the shape and size of the sending unit.

Have seen allot of 67 with the slide on (guess that's the best description for the moment) also. Will look through my pictures to see what they can add to the discussion. Don't recall anything published on the change of the attachment point from Ford. Which is a little surprising. Wonder if we will find that it was another running change. Something else to check :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:31:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
Without going into all the other details I found going through my picture collection - we'll save that for another thread.

Here are four examples from around your cars plant and time period. Please ignore the other PO changes and choices :) Does appear to support the slide on connection from the engine feed wire loom

Clock wise from top left  - 7T19xxxx-7T20xxxx-7T232xxx-7T237xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline Z67Fback

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
Jeff, Bob.
Thank you so much for your detailed responses Yikes, no wonder I was confused on what was correct.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but Jeff's bottom two pics do show the slide-on connector.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but Jeff's bottom two pics do show the slide-on connector.
Yup.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
That is because Jeff said in regards to the pictures 
Does appear to support the slide on connection from the engine feed wire loom

The slide on style was typical for 67 production.