Author Topic: Vacuum Advance Screw Finish  (Read 719 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Vacuum Advance Screw Finish
« on: September 02, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »
I found a very informative thread about distributor finish and reply #9 refers to the vacuum advance screw finish changing from "early" to "late" with illustrations.  However, there are no dates to indicate when this change took place.  Can someone pin this down for me please?

Here is the previous thread;
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13109.msg80274#msg80274
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

Re: Vacuum Advance Screw Finish
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »
What year, what engine, what - a whole bunch of other questions.
Jim
(My 66 GT K Fastback has no vacuum stuff, but my 66 289 4V does, as does my 65 GT Fastback.)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
Jim

Well, that's my question.  What date or model year did the advance screw finish change from zinc to P&O?  I don't think you are suggesting you know but it is engine code specific?

If it does matter, I am primarily interested in FE engine applications.  So it would be '67 - '70 Mustang big block.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:03:06 PM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:22:43 PM »
Don't know if we've focused on that yet. Guess now is the time. :)

I'll look through my new dist pictures as well as unrestored cars and I'm sure others will provide what they can for you and the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 12:27:43 AM »
I found a very informative thread about distributor finish and reply #9 refers to the vacuum advance screw finish changing from "early" to "late" with illustrations.  However, there are no dates to indicate when this change took place. 
Are you referring to the two screws that hold the vacuum advance diaphragm to the distributor housing?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »
Are you referring to the two screws that hold the vacuum advance diaphragm to the distributor housing?
Jim

Yes, those two screws.  In the link I included, Jeff posted pictures with both finishes used and he called them early and late but I don't know the changeover date.
Jim
'66 GT FB