Author Topic: Whitewall tires  (Read 1737 times)

Offline bwrrn0

Whitewall tires
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:47:00 PM »
Does anyone have a fix for whitwall tires that will not stay white?
I’ve tried various otc products but nothing seems to keep them white.
They keep turning a yellow tan color.  Brillo is not made the way it was
years ago so where can I go from here?
Any suggestions wot e greatly greatly appreciated.

Rick

Offline Building 3

Re: Whitewall tires
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »
I assume you are talking about radial whitewall tires since I have had that problem on each set, but never with bias ply. You will notice that on radial tires the WSW is placed on top of the black tire, while bias ply tires are below the surface of the black. I assume that this white is much thicker than the piece paced on top, but I can't verify that. According to a Michelin tire engineer I talked to at the Detroit Auto Show a few years ago:  As the tire flexes the chemicals in the tire actually migrate to the outside of the tire. This keeps the tire flexible and last longer.  Those chemicals are the ones that cause the browning of the tire. You might make it better right after a cleaning, but it can't be eliminated. That is what the engineer said. I have a set of bias-ply WSW tires for shows but prefer radials for cruising. I talked to Diamond Back tires about this problem. They said they place a barrier layer between the black and the white so that the chemicals do not migrate to the surface in that area. I had them make me a set with 5/8" WSW for my 1966 Mustang.  I told them the distances I wanted for the black rubber from the wheel to the white and then the size of the white.  I could not be happier. perfectly white all summer long. Expensive yes, but every 6-8 years for tires and not having to worry about browning is worth it. Maybe the reproduction bias ply tire manufacturers like Coker, also place this barrier layer but I don't know. All of my bias ply WSW tires have stayed white.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:09:46 PM »
I use Simple Green with my 68 coupe.  Never have a problem.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
That's great news. My experience was different. I contacted the tire manufacturer when they first started to turn brown. They said it was my fault. I must have done something wrong. So I looked on other classic car websites and I found that the browning was a known and common problem. Some manufacturers actually did provide new sets of tires free, others gave a discount and some gave the cold shoulder. I tried Simple Green, Westley's Bleche-White, Vogue Tire Ultimate White Wall Cleaner, SOS pads, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Comet and who knows what else. After two sets of WSW radials I gave up and bought the Diamond Backs. It's a lot cheaper if the cleaners work. I know.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
How about white shoe dye? Just a WAG.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ericisback

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:15 AM »
Here is a link with some helpful information. It’s from the Corvette forum that I follow as well. They are having the same problem:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/www.corvetteforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4336220

Offline stangs-R-me

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
Here is a link with some helpful information. It’s from the Corvette forum that I follow as well. They are having the same problem:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/www.corvetteforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4336220

Wow ... reading through 389 posts took a couple of hours out of my life, but I learned a few things.

My late 1987 vintage BFG Radial T/A's white letters on the OE 14" GT wheels were easy to keep white.   
The BFG Radial T/A's I bought in 2017 and mounted on a set of 15" Legendary GT9 ('69-70 GT500 styled) wheels started yellowing right away.   
At least I now know WHY !!   

Goo Gone seemed to work best at bringing them back to almost white, but from this long thread it sounds like I should try LA Totally Awesome from the dollar store and a Mr. Clean Scrub Pad.   Used this once before as a degreaser and it worked really well.

Doug 

Offline ericisback

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »
Doug:

Don’t look at the car, only the tires... lol

These are white wall Diamondbacks that have stayed white for quite a while.  Not the cheapest set of tires I have ever purchased, but since it seems harder and harder to keep the sidewalls the correct color, I suspect it is probably worth it in the long run.

Offline ericisback

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
Also, here’s a photo of my Mustang in case anyone needs some eye bleach after looking at that Chevy...