Author Topic: A San Jose Summary -  (Read 1098 times)

Offline jwc66k

A San Jose Summary -
« on: October 13, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »
This brochure was passed out at a car show at the San Jose Assembly Plant in Milpitas, CA. It gives a good summary of the history, important dates, products produced and some of its internal workings. The author, Darrell La Fond, was a Quality Engineer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

Re: A San Jose Summary -
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 07:01:06 PM »
Very interesting history thanks for posting.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
Had not seen that Jim - thanks for posting. Did meet Darrell a while back at my Dad's funeral. Believe he was one of the final inspectors at San Jose when he retired. Have one of his business cards that identifies as being assigned to Quality Control
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
Had not seen that Jim - thanks for posting.
I was looking for some other odds and end paper work (found a copy of the original owner's certificate of my 66 K Fastback dated in 1965 in the same folder) and this popped up. I don't remember when I got the pamphlet, either at the "Ford Fun Sunday" show put on by the Great Mall or one of my Mustang Club's car shows. The Ford Fun Sunday event was a giant mess. The event sponsors underestimated the attendance by at least 50 percent. Cars were literally stacked next to each other on the North West side of the building. I do remember meeting Paul Newitt (GT/CS Registry) there. It was so congested that many drivers just left.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
I was looking for some other odds and end paper work (found a copy of the original owner's certificate of my 66 K Fastback dated in 1965 in the same folder) and this popped up. I don't remember when I got the pamphlet, either at the "Ford Fun Sunday" show put on by the Great Mall or one of my Mustang Club's car shows. The Ford Fun Sunday event was a giant mess. The event sponsors underestimated the attendance by at least 50 percent. Cars were literally stacked next to each other on the North West side of the building. I do remember meeting Paul Newitt (GT/CS Registry) there. It was so congested that many drivers just left.
Jim

Recall one of the shows VMOA had there when the mall was sort of new. It was a different show that you mentioned. Recall the trees being real small and provided no shade on a typical summer day in the bay area. They did have a few of the original workers there but they could provide very very little about how the cars were built or the over all operation. Not really unusual in my experience. Most seem to remember they complaints they had, friends they made, people/boss's they had problems with, what they made and things like that.

Do remember the show since the throttle stuck (or owner operation error I betting) on a 69 and ran into one of the cars when they were being directed into their show spot. Also recall a few of us spending a fair amount of time looking over a red 66 coupe with a 6 in it. Owner had to come over to ask why we were spending so much time looking and discussing the car. We explained that it was unusual since it was a thermactor equipped 6 cylinder car built at Dearborn. Had some odd parts

Darrell was one of a number of workers we didn't get a chance to spend time with and record their memories - something I regret not doing often enough of at the time. Too busy with work and family

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)