Author Topic: Fastback interior quarter trim repair/restore  (Read 4008 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fastback interior quarter trim repair/restore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 05:16:23 PM »
I think what I used was a black interior paint from Eastwood. I think it came out a bit shiny. I think some of the pros on this site indicated it would loose a bit of the shine over time. I suggest searching for the other interior paint topics and they have the correct paint listed. I think Jeff S indicated it was actually a dark "gray". That said I am very happy with the color other than the shine. Suggest you practice on the back side of the panel to get the technique and build correct. The idea is NOT to create a flowing coat but get the little nibs to build on each other and they get a little more texture the further you spray away from the surface. you may find up to 18"-24" is the right distance.

if you lightly scuff it you could spray it with Krylon Rust Tough Enamel Semi-Flat.  It sprays, dries and looks like the old Krylon 1613.

Correct From 67-up when Ford lists Black for interior paint color what they really meant was Dark Charcoal Metallic - VERY different from black in both tone, tint and color plus the metallic If you paint items black that should be the Dark Charcoal expect someone to notice. Black is reserved for 65-66 interiors ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:19:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dcenicco

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 11:41:48 AM »
Now that it's already painted, you can try SEM 13023 Low luster clear, which will coat and flatten the gloss.
69 RamAir CobraJet Acapulco Blue

Offline dcenicco

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 12:19:19 PM »
Jeff -

I have come across a few of your posts that suggest VP-4464 as a good representation for Dark Charcoal Metallic (bottom of pic). NPD has not had this in stock for some time. The AP-4464 lacquer seems quite a bit glossier to me, but I will use that for the steering column (top of pic). Do you have a recommendation as a substitute for the VP-4464?

Thank You

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2022, 03:59:18 PM »
Jeff -

I have come across a few of your posts that suggest VP-4464 as a good representation for Dark Charcoal Metallic (bottom of pic). NPD has not had this in stock for some time. The AP-4464 lacquer seems quite a bit glossier to me, but I will use that for the steering column (top of pic). Do you have a recommendation as a substitute for the VP-4464?

Thank You

Don't know that it was I that was recommending that particular brand or paint but if you'll see in other post its helpful IMHO to apply the top charcoal coat using somewhat dry paint coats rather than wet ones. Those tend to turn much glossier as you can apply too much paint which will also fill the texture as I've found out the hard way years ago
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dcenicco

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2022, 05:23:34 PM »
Sorry if I misspoke and thank you very much for the tip on avoiding a glossy finish & losing texture.