Author Topic: Emblem Restoration  (Read 2102 times)

Offline bburns31

Emblem Restoration
« on: December 31, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »
I am slowly restoring my dad's 66 and all the pin on emblems need restoration. The chrome is faded, colors faded but relatively no pitting. I have tried searching the forum but is there a shop that can do this type of restoration or at least the re-chroming and I can paint the colors myself? Seeing CJ's having a kit for $50 is tempting just to buy new but I didn't know how expensive or possible a restoration of these parts are. I have searched the forum and couldn't find information.
66 Mustang Dearborn C Code Sauterne Gold Metallic

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Emblem Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 03:13:34 PM »
i cannot tell you just how to proceed but i would avoid that vendor at all costs. their reputation is not too good. i would suggest NPD or virginia classic mustang as a look and see.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »
You didn't include enough details to be certain as to what emblems your referring to since different models have different emblems. In some examples the finish is not chrome.  BVut in general will be much cheaper to purchase new reproductions than having the emblems replated by a shop in most cases.  Of course by buying reproductions or even some NOS ones you will be sacrificing the original look and details found on originals as reworking and rechroming will often mute, remove or modify the original design

In some cases the mounting pins are different in size as discussed in another thread

Colors are fairly easy to redo and I think there is at least one discussion on colors and paint choices.

Like most things there are choices and after evaluation as well as thought you need to make what is best while focusing on your final goal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bburns31

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
The emblems I'm questioning are the "FORD" on the hood, the 289 and Pony/Mustang badges and the side grilles. Are these die cast metal or plastic etc.? Can they be re-chromed to get rid of the pitting and restored?
66 Mustang Dearborn C Code Sauterne Gold Metallic

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
they are metal and most likely will loose their small details if rechromed. inless doing a t-bred car i would suggest a nice set of reproductions.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
The MUSTANG script ones can usually be cleaned/polished with a little chrome polish.

The others aren't worth messing.  Ford parts will fit and appear best, so if your budget allows, look for the quarter ornaments, hood letters and 289 emblems.  The early small pin running horse NOS emblems are very rare and expensive these days.  Any that you might see for sale with C5ZZ numbers on the box could be the later '68 style, which has large pins and I believe 1 or 2 of the pins in a different location.  Good repro may be best, although I'd clean up and repaint any originals with good chrome and no broken pins.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin