Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Left/Right Plug Wires

(1/6) > >>

bryancobb:
I just got the two decals for the left and right banks of plug wires.
One is         C6AF 12281 K.
The other is C6AF 12280 G.
Which one is for 1,2,3,& 4 ? And which one is for 5,6,7, & 8?

Tags were located on either the #1 or #4 plug wire (passenger side) and the #8 wire (driver side). They were placed on the plug wires about one half inch away from the wire boot that plugs into the distributor cap. They identify the right (passenger) and left (driver) spark plug wire assemblies.

Also the decals are 1.5" long.  One end is square cut, the other rounded.
If the wires are 8mm approx, the circumference would only be .989".  This leaves .5" that will overlap and cover up some of the numbers.
How are they suppose to be displayed?  Do you wrap them around and stick the 2 sticky sides together?

carlite65:
i may get corrected here but i have never seen the plug wires labeled with labels. only the coil wire. kind of redundant since the cyl# should be on the wire itself.

bryancobb:
My understanding is that the left and right banks of 4 wires was preassembled on a jig, by employees whose only task was setting up spark plug wires.  Then the person who was installing hose groups of 4 wires onto the engine, picked up a preassembled and "tagged" group, looked at the decal tag which told him right or left. 

It makes total common sense in a mass production engine shop.  I would say that's how it was done.

mgmradio:
Never seen that on an early car,or even the remnants of them.Would have expected them to survive just like the tag on the coil wire.

carlite65:
i wonder if those are something some company has 'cooked up' just to sell them & make a few $$. can't cost much to make. where did you purchase them from ?? and i wonder what type of research that company has done to support their existence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version