Author Topic: 65 K Code HEH-T Toploader Details  (Read 987 times)

Offline Snydly289

65 K Code HEH-T Toploader Details
« on: February 23, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »
Hi all,
I'm starting my restoration of my HEH-T Toploader for my 65 HiPo Fastback. I have been able to uncover all of the identification marks on my 4-speed with Evapo-Rust as well as the stamped VIN ;D. My question is the finishes on multiple parts, I believe I have everything nailed down but I would like other inputs for a concours Toploader.
Here's my list in question:

Main Case and tailhousing: bare cast iron
Inspection cover plate: bare steel, not media blasted (with black bolts?)
Shifter rods: I have seen both black and bare steel on various toploaders so not sure
Shift rod end swivels (main case): bare steel
Front bearing retainer: bare steel
Shifter base: bare steel
Shifter base end swivel/fingers (tailhousing): bare steel
Transmission mount/insulator: Black

Also shown in the photos is the transmission mount missing a mounting stud. Somehow the PO broke the weld holding this stud into the mount. Is this stud available anywhere? Or am I more than likely going to have to restore another original mount or get my hands on a NOS part. My mount has 2 part numbers on it by the way, C4ZA-6068-B and C8ZA-6068-D with AW 147. Any reason for the 2 part numbers? Possible a service replacement part?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:17:02 PM by J_Speegle »
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 K Code HEH-T Toploader Details
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »
Let me give this a try

Main Case and tailhousing: Bare cast iron steel with machined surfaces. There are a number of products guys use to reproduce a freshly cast iron finish while protecting the finish for the long term

Inspection cover plate:Bare stamped sheet metal with heat treated/darkened retaining bolts
Shifter rods: Bare steel - IMHO these would be darker in tone that the cast iron and stamped steel other items
Shift rod end swivels (main case): Fresh bar steel look nt sure if there was any original plating
Front bearing retainer: Bare cast iron - see above
Shifter base end swivel/fingers (tailhousing): Sure someone will have a restored and freshly plated example to offer for a picture
Transmission mount/insulator: Semi-gloss black over stamped steel upper and lower bracket sections bonded with the rubber insulator. Studs appear to be a darker possible finish.

Also shown in the photos is the transmission mount missing a mounting stud. Somehow the PO broke the weld holding this stud into the mount. Is this stud available anywhere? Or am I more than likely going to have to restore another original mount or get my hands on a NOS part. My mount has 2 part numbers on it by the way, C4ZA-6068-B and C8ZA-6068-D with AW 147. Any reason for the 2 part numbers? Possible a service replacement part?

Your going to need another one and yes the one you have was made likely in 68 or 69 and not original to the car.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
Here are pictures of the trans and shifter in my Aug 64 A code coupe.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »
Wow, I realize I never responded.

Thank you Jeff for the detailed info, it has been very useful as I have been going to town on my Toploader.

mgmradio: thank you for those pictures, I plan to have my shifter base re-plated. It is currently not in the best looking condition.
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback