Author Topic: Best indoor Car Cover?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline hertz350

Best indoor Car Cover?
« on: March 06, 2021, 10:46:59 PM »
Looking for recommendations on the best brand and style of indoor only car covers. Which linings are preferred? This is going on a freshly painted car.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Best indoor Car Cover?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:12:31 AM »
Wait at least a month before putting a cover on a freshly painted car. That being said, the best indoor cover is an outdoor cover. I got into the habit of putting an old throw rug over the nose of the hood especially in the garage. That seems to be a "target area". As to a brand, I like Covercraft. Most Mustang parts sellers carry them in sizes for all Mustangs body styles and years. Figure on paying $265 (NPD price). You will need to "punch" a hole for the antenna, and most covers come with a plastic grommet.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 10:07:02 AM »
I've always used the grey cotton flannel ones from California Car Cover. I am about to replace one that is 30 years old. It's been to the cleaners maybe 5 times since it was new. Really good at stopping dust and protecting paint. They are not the cheapest, I think maybe $325 plus shipping for a custom fitted one with mirror pocket sewn on.

https://www.calcarcover.com/

Looking for recommendations on the best brand and style of indoor only car covers. Which linings are preferred? This is going on a freshly painted car.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
Agree with the cotton flannel lined ones as my first choice. If you don't worry about having a pretty looking collection out in the garage then top them with a thin plastic covering if you have a lined slab floor the cars are parked on. Also used dust stopper covers also. They are IMHO about as effective as the flannel but lack the inner surface texture.

Washing the covers on a regular basis is a hassle - none of the ones I've used ever eliminate dust at some point.

Agree no reason to cover a freshly painted car I would give it 6 months - but that is just me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 06:25:22 PM »
I have the Covercraft Form Fit model for indoor use.  It fits better than a glove, I love it!  I ordered mine directly from Covercraft with the FD-56 running mustang / 50 years logo on it. The logo is centered on the hood.   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »
I have the Covercraft Form Fit model for indoor use.  It fits better than a glove, I love it!  I ordered mine directly from Covercraft with the FD-56 running mustang / 50 years logo on it. The logo is centered on the hood.

Just as a word of warning. IF you use the cover with an emblem or writing on it especially on any top facing surface out side in the sun and heat this can create a condition to where the emblem will affect the paint under it and leave an imprint visible in the paint once removed.

Experienced this on an entrants car at a show in sunny and hot Calif where from a certain angle you could see a giant Cobra emblem centered on the hood. This was before the show so of course I mentioned it to the owner who worked all night to make it go away

Should likely not be an issue if only used on a car stored inside
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)