Author Topic: Has anyone used reproduction front fender splash shields?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline DougDyar

Has anyone used reproduction front fender splash shields?
« on: March 07, 2021, 01:14:04 AM »
I'm trying to decide whether to try and find good used splash shields or buy the reproductions. Mine are in so/so condition and finding original replacements can be tough. I looked at NPD's offerings and there appear to be more than one choice. Has anyone used the repros and can offer a review?
Thx!
Doug
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone used reproduction front fender splash shields?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
I guess your asking about the plastic splash shields for the 70?

If so I would go for some nice originals and just restore them.

Just what I choose for my cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:30 PM »
I guess your asking about the plastic splash shields for the 70?

If so I would go for some nice originals and just restore them.

Just what I choose for my cars

I, too, would prefer originals, but, lacking a set of good ones, I am looking at the reproductions. 25 years ago I would hit the salvage yard for a set. Today?

Anyway, I am asking if anyone has compared the reproductions to originals and what their opinions are on the fit and quality of the new ones. NPD's site talks about brittle plastic. If they went to the trouble of mentioning it, they must be pretty bad...

Doug
0F02G203277

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 05:05:22 PM »
I, too, would prefer originals, but, lacking a set of good ones, I am looking at the reproductions. 25 years ago I would hit the salvage yard for a set. Today?

Doug. You might be even better off today since you have internet access and the whole world to search. Might consider posting some wanted ads or swap meets once they become available in your general area. Most of the time found that sellers were more than happy to sell these since no one asks for them and in general just something that gets in the way that is not considered very valuable. Still yards around in my area just not the volume we once had. Its always been about the luck 

Just a thought - hope you find ones that fit your needs
Jeff Speegle

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »
Doug. You might be even better off today since you have internet access and the whole world to search. Might consider posting some wanted ads or swap meets once they become available in your general area. Most of the time found that sellers were more than happy to sell these since no one asks for them and in general just something that gets in the way that is not considered very valuable. Still yards around in my area just not the volume we once had. Its always been about the luck 

Just a thought - hope you find ones that fit your needs

Thanks, Jeff.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the originals?

On the subject of the repros, it looks like Dynacorn and Scott Drake might possibly each offer a version.

Doug
0F02G203277

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »
If there is sound deadener on them I find that it comes off (heavier applications) pretty easy if you flex the shield.. Beyond that wax and silicon remove will help clean up the lighter stuff. Does not come off quickly but won't attach the base material. I've used some of the Krylon plastic black paints to return the consent coloration to the visible and non-visible surface. Scratches and damage is another thing that I've not tried to fix or needed to as of yet

Can't recall if the original surface for yours was all smooth and flat or with texture in some areas. Kryon makes/made some lightly textured  black for plastic rattle can spray that I tried out also
Jeff Speegle