Author Topic: Upper control arm change?  (Read 16778 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Upper control arm change?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 01:38:08 AM »
Check in the circled areas for codes, usually 2 character, like C4 or D8
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
I checked 16, 67 and 68 uppers today from a recent AZ junk yard trip and here is what I found. 9 had faint date codes 3 had marks that I couldn't recognize as a number or a letter (slight nicks in the metal) but I guess it could be considered a less then faint date code because it was in the same area as the readable date codes and 4 had no sign what so ever of a date code. They were smooth metal in that area.The 2 pairs of 65/66 ones I had all had date codes.  So from these small sampling observations I can conclude that not every arm got stamped or they were so poorly stamped it didn't leave a impression. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
The ones that are showing smooth, are you sure they aren't service replacements?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
The ones that are showing smooth, are you sure they aren't service replacements?
They don't appear to be service parts since first off these ones in question are the cut back 68 style which I haven't come across a service replacement of that early style so if they were serviced, that stock must have been used up long ago. They are plugged and not zerted ball joints and early style spring perch still bolted on . For those reading the factory plug in the ball joint is commonly replaced with a grease zert when service replaced by a mechanic and topped off with grease and left in for later service.  The untouched plugs and the early assemblyline spring perches give the impression of assemblyline . Charles is it your contention that service replacements weren't date code stamped? Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »
So far, I have not run across any service replacement control arms that were date-coded like the assembly line pieces we're seeing.  There are also other subtle and not so subtle differences in the service replacements.  Of course, we also see one or more different variations of service control arms.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
So far, I have not run across any service replacement control arms that were date-coded like the assembly line pieces we're seeing.  There are also other subtle and not so subtle differences in the service replacements.  Of course, we also see one or more different variations of service control arms.
With the faint stamping to a almost non existent non readable stamping to no stamping at all seems to indicates a progression range of possible assemblyline variations in my small sampling. I am confident the control arms in my sampling are assemblyline. Special Ed picked them out. He would have turned up his nose at anything service :D   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:31:02 PM by Bob Gaines »

Online ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
I checked the two I posted found no marks on the unsaved one and some kind of mark on the shaved one. I checked to more shaved ones and found no marks. I also had to 65-66 ones they both had date codes. Does not seem that Ford was too committed to marking all of them. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
............ Does not seem that Ford was too committed to marking all of them. Marty

Don't think it was Ford but a contractor such as TRW or Moog. In that case it might be that one did and one didn't. If they did the same with two suppliers (such as this) as they did with other parts then one supplier provided parts for San Jose while the other got the Dearborn and NJ contract - though shipments could be shipped to another plant if the additional supply was needed

Just a consideration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Lower control arm date?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
Check in the circled areas for codes, usually 2 character, like C4 or D8

None of the pictures in this thread are visible on my computer.
I'm looking for a date.  Where do I need to look?  I'll post a couple of pics in a couple of hours to get an expert opinion if these are assy-line OEM for MAR Metuchen.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
control arms
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
I found a set of control arms.  The uppers are stamped with a "K".  I can't find any markings on the lowers.   
I'm almost positive these are original assembly line parts.  What do y'all think?   

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
This shows the lower control arm details and where to find a date code:

http://65kresto.blogspot.com/2010/05/5310.html

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Thanks Charles
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Both of my lower A-arms for my Oct 65 (month "K", and they have never been touched before) are stamped "H5" and both upper A-arms are stamped "K". We (others in the restoration group I'm in) assumed the "K" was for an October manufactured item. We also have several non-stamped factory upper A-arms we've accumulated so stamping seems to be 'optional'. If Bryan's car is an October or November build, I guess we can assume that it's a date stamp. If not, either his A-arms were replaced of the "K" is a factory/sub-contractor ID.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
Jim,

These are not off my MAR 66 car.  These are a set of 2 uppers and 2 lowers I got from a guy that I plan to restore and put on my car.

The P.O. of mine took off the OEM ones and trashed them.  He put on aftermarket CSRP power discs and repop control arms and a 1" stabilizer bar.

I just got the entire OEM setup with all date code stuff removed from a Metuchen car that was built a couple of months prior to mine.  The original drums, spindles, control arms, 5/8 dia stabilizer bar.

His parts appear to be all OEM.  I was just trying to verify the lower control arms since I couldn't find a date.   I'm pretty confident the "K" on the uppers is the date.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:49:44 PM by bryancobb »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
Bryan: If you need those arms tumbled to a finish like in my pics, send me a PM to discuss.  I have a large tank tumbler.