Author Topic: Values as it relates "first week of production" (vin, engines, special features)  (Read 860 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
A friend was wondering if special instances of production (other than the first) warrant any special interest or value increases or if it's "just interesting."

Does being in the first week of production (with its subsequent low vin) merit any consideration?
Perhaps being amongst the first (first 100, first 10?) to offer a specific engine new to the lineup?

Assuming we have similarly equipped concours level cars does  "first week (day?) of production" for specific features have any effect on interest or values?

I understand there are special interest Mustangs (especially Shelbys) that merit their own discussion and maybe we steer clear of those for now.

[fix spelling error]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:25:57 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
My GT/CS is part of the group of the first 200 California Specials built for the introduction on Feb 15, 1968. By VIN number it is likely one of the first 50 cars. Honestly, I don't feel that it is worth anymore than any of the other J code automatic, non-GT, GT/CS's. Just a cool conversation topic.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline ruppstang

I have a 68 S code that was built on the third day of production. I has some unique features but is not worth more in my opinion.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Unless the car has something interesting about it, that can be validated, then I don't believe there would be additional monetary value placed on early normal production cars.

With the 65-66 cars, there's a lot of unknowns without the records, so anybody claiming 'first of' or 'one of x' has no concrete evidence to support it.  If one could say they had the first K code built of the 3 body styles, that might add some value, but no way to validate.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Along the same lines. An super early car with different parts and practices can be more interesting and have, in some cases, be more of a draw at a show depending on how all that is communicated but that will IMHO not make a different in value in normal conditions and situations. Might make it "special" though not more valuable 

At the same time at an auction with two guys that, for them, it makes a difference the story might be different.  But would not consider that an example of the "market"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)