Author Topic: Towing  (Read 758 times)

Offline austexstang

Towing
« on: April 26, 2021, 04:37:39 PM »
Ugh.. for the first time since I've owned it, I have to have my '65 towed...
My questions are:  should it be winched (since it's non-running) from the front or rear and where or what under the car should the winch cable be attached to?

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: Towing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:55:58 PM »
Most tow truck drives know what to do. Let them do it. On the other hand, an AT car should be towed from the rear. A MT car "sort of" doesn't make a difference. The tow trucks around here are mostly flat beds, so there is no problem there. If you got a distance (say 100 miles) request a flatbed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
+1 ,Confirm it is a roll back for sure . As has been mentioned most companies use roll backs anyway.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bgp429

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Winching a car on a flat bed won't hurt a thing. Really, the only way to damage a car on a flat bed is if the tie down chains / straps are too tight. They will usually attach to the axles, control arms or use a strap unit over the top of the tire.  You can express your concern about damage but don't tell the driver how to tow the vehicle. A reputable company will have qualified drivers.

If it is a local tow say around 5 miles and under 35 mph the tranny won't be damaged. I have personally towed thousands of vehicles on the drive wheels without damage. Remember back when these cars were new there was no such thing as a roll back/flat bed.