Author Topic: Assembly and service related book and diagram recommendations?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Angela

What books would you recommend which include clear, readable diagrams similar to those provided in the Osborn assembly manuals?
IMHO, *some* of the very old Osborn manuals were somewhat readable, but those printed in the last decade are absolutely terrible (the image printing quality is horrid and the watermark is ridiculously profound, rendering the diagrams of little value to me).

There are a few mustang restoration books which I find have better diagram images and I'm looking for additional sources. One such book I have found very useful is: https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-1964-2-1973-Restoration-Guide/dp/B00ERS309E

If you're aware of a source you'd recommend, I would appreciate the  help.

Thanks!

Offline RoyceP

Re: Assembly and service related book and diagram recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »
Get an original paper version year - specific Master Parts catalog and the associated illustration book. The CD version is not as good, and the 1975 Final Revision is not as good. You want a book published as soon after your car was built as possible.

A set of the original paper Factory Shop Manuals is also excellent. The CD version is terrible.

Between these two publications you will find answers to 90% of your questions.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 04:38:42 PM »
Think you will find that for exploded views and diagrams there are few choices other than the two you mentioned - MPC and the assembly manuals. That is what Ford used and it makes little sense for someone to go back through and redraw everything again. Use the 64 1/2 73 Restoration guide at times since its a smaller size and is just a little easier to deal with when looking for a simple base part number on the fly. Since its basically a reprinting of the 72 MPC there are issues with some of the reprinted text info
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »
There are a few mustang restoration books which I find have better diagram images and I'm looking for additional sources. One such book I have found very useful is: https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-1964-2-1973-Restoration-Guide/dp/B00ERS309E
This is a reprint of the drawings and parts lists of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC). It may be more legible than the Osborn Manuals but the parts listed are replacement parts and not assembly line originals as depicted in the Osborn Manuals. This applies to ALL MPC, all years - the parts are NOT always assembly line originals but are replacements for dealer service.
To be truthful, the Mustang Chassis Assembly Manuals (all years) are terrible to read, drawings and text "washed out", incomplete part numbers, missing pages (either not supplied by Ford or the quality was really bad) - but they are better than a paper bag and crayola. Most of the rest of the Osborn Productions, Mustang Assembly Manuals are fairly good in content and print quality. At the worst, they give you a piece of paper to make corrections (don't use crayola) you find in various sources, and a common document to refer to when asking or answering questions. (Portable too.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline snikliw87

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the electronic versions from http://www.mustangshopmanual.com? They have various manuals in PDF format. Their demo examples seem to be decent quality at least.
1967 Fastback GTA 390 - Built 10/1966 San Jose

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 07:28:55 PM »

I find them to be irritating and not as handy as the paper version. With the electronic version you find yourself printing pages and still looking at your computer. Time waster.

Does anyone have experience with the electronic versions from http://www.mustangshopmanual.com? They have various manuals in PDF format. Their demo examples seem to be decent quality at least.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock