Author Topic: 65 Assmebly Line V8 Oil Filters  (Read 22155 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Rotunda oil filter stamp template
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Bob!

And what about the differences on applications? I always knew that Red Rotunda filter is correct for late 64 and early 65' cars? What about this black one?

Its the difference between what the engine was originally delivered from the engine plant with and what would have been installed at the first or following services. Some clubs have for years allowed for either (red Rotunda for example) I'm sire most today would suggest that many/most restorers would choose the black over the red Rotunda today. There are a number of threads discussing the assembly line filters here on the site along with pictures from the engine plant in 64 and 65 if you search them out

As for mixing and matching originals and repos all depends on the organization (if your taking the car to a judged event) the judges, the class and the owner. Know many that choose to add original parts over a close reproduction. Just makes them happier ;)  And not something that the judges will ding you for
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sanluis09

Re: 65 Rotunda oil filter stamp template
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »
Thank you Jeff,

I had read some of those threads regarding oil filters, and here is another info that I think is useful:

http://www.robertson.org.nz/domino/tbirddoc.nsf/f5b2cbf2a827c0198525624b00057d30/ce4c4828c7c7f1c4cc256bc4003161af!OpenDocument
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline 21.04

Assembly line oil filters
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »
There was an NOS oil filter listed on EBay as item 323373059932 that was listed as an assembly line unit installed on ‘65 Mustangs.  It’s a Rotunda piece that is black with yellow lettering.  I have a “Shorty” oil filter I had understood was used on several early Mustangs.  It’s also black with yellow lettering but says Fomoco rather than Rotunda.  It says it’s to be changed after 1000 miles of use.  Does anyone know which years and particular cars ended up with a longer black Rotunda filter and which might have got the shorty version?  Attached is the shorty filter.

Matt
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Assembly line oil filters
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
Did you take a look at the pictures in the Assembly Line section of the site. This would include the pictures of the engines waiting to be shipped as well as the hot and oil tests?  That would be one place to start
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
There was an NOS oil filter listed on EBay as item 323373059932 that was listed as an assembly line unit installed on ‘65 Mustangs.  It’s a Rotunda piece that is black with yellow lettering.  I have a “Shorty” oil filter I had understood was used on several early Mustangs.  It’s also black with yellow lettering but says Fomoco rather than Rotunda.  It says it’s to be changed after 1000 miles of use.  Does anyone know which years and particular cars ended up with a longer black Rotunda filter and which might have got the shorty version?  Attached is the shorty filter.

Matt
I haven't seen a shorty filter on a 65/66 V8 Mustang before. Not sure about the 6 cyl but assume it is the same. Typically the full size versions were seen on Mustangs of that vintage.The shorties I have seen before were from the Ford Tractor line. I'm not what other application there might be for the short ones in 65/66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 21.04

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I did brows some of the assembly line section as you’d suggested.  Some interesting photos have been posted.  Among them there is one in particular of a Cleveland engine plant doing an oil pressure test on a ‘64 289 Hi-po for a Comet.  Clearly has a black shorty filter.  There were no other photos I could find showing other years of hi-po engines to see how far the shorty might have carried.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:02:47 PM by carlite65 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I did brows some of the assembly line section as you’d suggested.  Some interesting photos have been posted.  Among them there is one in particular of a Cleveland engine plant doing an oil pressure test on a ‘64 289 Hi-po for a Comet.  Clearly has a black shorty filter.  There were no other photos I could find showing other years of hi-po engines to see how far the shorty might have carried.

Matt
Matt ,Test engines aside they obviously had applications on Ford engines otherwise they wouldn't exist.It is a very cool historical item.  FYI there are also slightly wider (thicker) shorty filters that had more capacity then the thinner one you show a picture of that was used back in the day on various non Mustang applications. As far as how long they were used there is evidence to support a shorty version (thicker one) being used on 67 and 68 GT500 applications with air conditioning . The extended oil filter /oil cooler adapter made the filter hang down too low so the thicker shorty was substituted (blue Autolite embossed in that case).  The shorty filter wasn't typically used on regular production 65 Mustang V8 engines from all evidence . I just don't want others reading this thread to get confused thinking that they were typically used on 65 V8 Mustangs. The black filters changed to blue for 1966 production.They matched the engine block color.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
I don't have it handy, but that Martha & The Vandellas video on the DAP assembly line shows a V8 being installed.  There's a nice side-shot of the engine and oil filter while it's being lowered in.  I've also heard of the short filters, but don't have any documentation to support.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
According to the original owner of my 66 289 Hi Po who was also employed at Cleveland 1 engine plant the short filters were used as a break in filter for Hi Performance applications. I have a factory photo of 63-64 427 with short filter . I have not seen a Blue shorty so this was probably a pre 1966 thing? The black ones were pretty common lunch pail parts at swap meets in late 80's.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
Thanks all who have chimed in and offered some examples on this.  Very helpful!

-Matt

Offline T_Kaminski

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »
I have not seen a Blue shorty so this was probably a pre 1966 thing?

Why would there need to be a blue filter?  Were they not just painted with the engine?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Why would there need to be a blue filter?  Were they not just painted with the engine?
The filters regardless of color were not painted with the engine.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
I am posting a copy of the Ford SB engine painting instructions. The very top of the list is the oil filter pad. Of course a filter was not in place when the engine was painted given the instructions. This is a 1970 version however there is no reason to think it was any different in regard to the matter being discussed for the earlier years.