Author Topic: Steering Column-Lower Dash  (Read 990 times)

Offline Wayne L

Steering Column-Lower Dash
« on: August 29, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »
I have a 1969 Mach 1 with black interior built at Metuchen. What color are the lower dash and steering column? 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Steering Column-Lower Dash
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 03:14:33 AM »
I have a 1969 Mach 1 with black interior built at Metuchen. What color are the lower dash and steering column?
Dark Charcoal Metallic .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Wayne L

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
The steering column is the same as the lower dash? What brand paint do you recommend?

Thank you

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
The steering column is the same as the lower dash? What brand paint do you recommend?

Thank you
I typically use PPG but there are many good alternatives.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
"Rattle can" for small jobs, available from NPD or Virginia Classic Mustangs. Both have active members of this forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wayne L

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
Great, thanks! Both are out of the car now. The lower dash seems to just need some touching up, the steering column needs some TLC.

Thanks for help!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »
Wayne  welcome to the site

One place to check for yourself on details like you are looking for is the Unrestored Picture thread section of the site.

Fair number of pictures in that section showing the steering column and the lower dash
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Wayne L

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
Great, thanks!

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »
This reminded me to ask if there's a comprehensive finishes page anywhere to be found along the lines of this page for our cars?
http://toms427impala.info/CT/Detailing.pdf
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 04:15:25 PM »
This reminded me to ask if there's a comprehensive finishes page anywhere to be found along the lines of this page for our cars?
http://toms427impala.info/CT/Detailing.pdf

Short answer - no. Though there is likely a dozen threads asking about why one or multiple ones have not been created

Long answer :)

There have been a few attempts over the years to create aids or lists and it's been small hits and misses since anything in print is out of date in some way quickly after its printed. The list shown in the like is pretty generic in that is does not go into enough detail to provide enough of a picture of how every part was finished so IMHO would not refer to it as "comprehensive". Some similar information can be gleaned from the MCA rules but often lacks specific details as to specific plant details and again its sort of general or short descriptions since there is just not enough room to describe things completely.

Since this question was posted in a thread about interior paint those details are covered in the paint chip copies provided in the Article Section of the site. There is not most in the way of differences and basically it describes two levels of gloss and that is it. Items molded in colors would be slightly different but that is not a paint detail.

In many of the year specific sections members have have posted lists and in general we have worked through those for their needs at that moment.  I've received maybe a dozen of efforts focused on a single year, plant or area of the car the writer was focusing on.  More than half simply wanted a list that could be double checked to help out with their project.

Of course this can turn into a never ending project as you have allot of details that could be included so often it helps if you set limits or you will be creating a large book. Of course anything you choose not to include (depth of details or additional parts) will leave readers and users wanting for more :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)