Author Topic: 1965 - 1966 Headlight Extensions / Housings  (Read 1219 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
1965 - 1966 Headlight Extensions / Housings
« on: October 04, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »
Over the years I have seen fitment issues of 65-66 (and 64.5) with headlight housings and extensions.  Whenever I have restored cars where these parts are originals to that particular car, they fit very well assuming no accident or other prior damage.  Sometimes the corners will pull down on the extensions, which is usually from over-tightening the attaching screws.  This can sometimes be fixed by bending at the middle.

There seems to be various versions of headlight housings and extensions that need to be paired for the correct fit.  There are also variations in fenders that also need to be matched to the correct headlight housings/extensions.  I'm sure others have seen cars where there is about a 1/16"-1/8" difference between an extension and the fender line.

What I'm hoping to accomplish with this post is to get a sampling of known original housings/extensions with accompanying engineering number castings, coupled with scheduled build date and assembly plant.  Maybe we can find some pattern through production years/plants to help with a reference for the correct parts needed to attain the correct fit.

Also, while it's important to focus on assembly line parts here, I also think that acknowledging service replacement engineering numbers may also be helpful.  For instance, a lot of the common (later) service replacement parts seem to be using the last molds, which are the '66 style.  The '66 style LH fender has the raised triangles and I believe used a different headlight housing/extension than a '65.  Mixing/matching these parts is where fitment issues arise.

I'll be checking through my pics/references, but hope that others will participate and provide info.

Thanks
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gjz30075

Re: 1965 - 1966 Headlight Extensions / Housings
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »

For instance, a lot of the common (later) service replacement parts seem to be using the last molds, which are the '66 style.  The '66 style LH fender has the raised triangles and I believe used a different headlight housing/extension than a '65.  Mixing/matching these parts is where fitment issues arise.

Thanks

This is interesting to know.   I'll be following....  Thanks
Greg Z

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
Charles you asked this question at the right time. I pulled my front end to do some clean up and other stuff during Covid and getting ready to put it all back together.

1. My drivers side housing and extension are known OEM originals. Besides part numbers, they both have numbers in ovals shown in pictures which none of the passenger side parts have. OEM housing is cast with C5ZB-13A045-A, SAE N 64 CR, FoMoCo in oval, 65159 LH and individual numbers 1-12 each in an oval. The extension is C4ZB-13064-A, 64115 (can't make out the rest), FoMoCo in oval and 5 what appear to be cast in support spots. The extension also measures 3/32 thick at green line in picture.

2. My car came without crush triangles on the driver fender. I replaced it in the early 80's with a used fender that has triangles. The drivers side fit is perfect. I don't know if it's an OEM or a NOS fender, it doesn't have a date code up where it bolts to the inner fender but does have one on the inner support. Unfortunately I can't make out the number. Any idea why it would have a stamp there?

3. My passenger fender is a NOS fender I bought from Ford in '83 and it doesn't have anything stamped on the inner support or anywhere.

4. I know the passenger housing and extension are not original to the car so take this for what it's worth. The housing is cast with 64136 RH, C4ZB-13100-G, SAE H 64 CH and FoMoCo in an oval. There was an extension on it that I could never adjust to fit, it was cast with C4ZB-13052-C, 64114-151 and FoMoCo in a rectangle. It also has no cast in support dots and measures 1/16" thick. I replaced it with a C4ZB-13052-A, 64114-151, 6 cast in support spots and FoMoCo in an oval and 3/32" thick and that fits perfectly. I tried to trace the outline of each, the pink line (bad extension) deviates a little but the dimensions on these require you to roll them as you trace the edge to keep the edge down so it's a best effort trace. One other thing, from the outer most edge to the inner circle around the bulb, the bad extension was 1/16" less than the good one. I think the hole extension may have been off center because it was impossible to match the gap between the fender and hood...it was always too tight.

5. Years ago I picked up a NOS drivers housing because my original had cracked in the normal place. I just painted it a few weeks ago to go on the car but now I'm wondering how it will fit. I'll update that later. Part number is C5ZB-13A045-B, SAE H 64 CR so I'm sure something will be different.

Hope this gets you started
Steve-
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:03:53 PM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I have about 4 data points so far, should have another in a couple weeks. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »
Sorry this took a few days to get to and to remove them for the pictures. Here you go

Car is a San Jose car likely built the first part of Feb 1966

Still off for a few days if you need pictures of some other details

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 12:41:11 PM »
That's the style of the one that didn't fit for me. Curious to know what the part # on the housing behind it is.

If it's the C5ZB-13A045-B that I'm about to put on, I'll spend some more time trying to figure out the differences
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Online rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
Charles

This is the original RH headlight extension from my '66 San Jose car built late September, 1965.  If you need details from other portions of the part, just let me know.

Jim
'66 GT FB