Author Topic: 69 Mustang Mach 1 front coil spring detailing  (Read 402 times)

Offline Vtorre61

69 Mustang Mach 1 front coil spring detailing
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »
So I cleaned up my springs for a 69 Mach 1 351 h code, FMX, AC, PS, PB car metcheun build. I obviously see the yellow , but what?s the other color ? Is it original paint or crayon? How do I replicate or should I just clear the spring? Just a clean driver thanks.  Also if I paint the marking , what paint and color? [/img]

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mustang Mach 1 front coil spring detailing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 04:43:14 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration project

So I cleaned up my springs for a 69 Mach 1 351 h code, FMX, AC, PS, PB car metcheun build. I obviously see the yellow , but what?s the other color ?

Don't have an exact match (in my collection) to your car and its options but believe based on others I believe the other color would have been Tan

Is it original paint or crayon?

Originally paint applied likely with a 1/2" brush while the spring out of the car before installation. This can make the stripe appear to be marked upside down once installed on some original examples. There is some information that might help you in the Library section of the site under Basic Paint Marks

How do I replicate or should I just clear the spring? Just a clean driver thanks.  Also if I paint the marking , what paint and color? [/img]

Are you restoring the car or are you trying to maintain your car in an unrestored state? Makes a difference

If restoring I suggest you search for and read some of the threads on how to replicate darkened heat treated steel and to protect it once finished.

If maintaining the look then kill any rust (products like EvapoRust) and then some protecting oil is applied as well as maintained over time

Once the area is clean any quality enamel tan colored paint should do the job
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:55:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mustang Mach 1 front coil spring detailing
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
Some examples. Remember that colors shown on the internet may not appears the same as they would in person based on camera settings and your monitor settings

Hope this helps

Originals and the reproduction of a pair of the same springs

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)