Author Topic: Jack Research Help Needed  (Read 5980 times)

Offline Carl

Jack Research Help Needed
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »
I'm trying to nail down the correct jacks for '69-'70 Mustangs, and have three questions.  If anyone has an original, KNOWN correct jack, and can help me with these points, it would be appreciated.  If you have such a jack, also please let me know '69 or '70, and if there is a date code (and if so, what it is.)

1)  Does the base of the jack have a patent number stamped on the inside? (U.S. Pat. No. X,XXX,XXX)

2)  What style end fittings are on the Acme threaded rod, i.e., does the rod go though a square block with a hole in the middle, or is the end piece a u-shaped piece of metal?

3)  What is the distance between the center of the rivet on the bottom plate and the center of the rivet at the scissor point?  See picture:

Any help appreciated.

Carl

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Jack Research Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
I have a known original dated 9B and an identical jack dated 8J.  The answers to your questions are the same for both jacks;

1.  not that I can see
2.  u-shaped
3.  5-5/8" (correction; measures more like 5-3/4")
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:26:37 PM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
Carl will check mine once I get to where they are stored.

You might want to include in your survey where the jack was installed as there appears (reported by a number of the 69-70 guys) that different suppliers (as usual) may have been used for different plants for the majority of the inventory used.

Just a thought as you always want to collect more details than you need IMHO - you can always disregard what you don't need but its hard to collect more later
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
this is the original jack that came in our '69 Mach 1. My father-in-law bought this Mach 1 in Jan. '70, and I met my wife in july '79. So, we know this is the original.....

1. the only number/letters on my jack is a "C7" on one of the arms and an "A" on the very top.
2. U-shaped.
3. 6" exactly.( I used digital dial calipers to get the dimension).

I have never sent pics on here but i'm going to try to send pics of our jack from different angles.....hang loose for a little while.   Ok,,,Here's some pics.You can see the "A" and "C7" in the last two pictures. Also, the threads are more coarse on my jack than the one you have pictured.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:49:58 PM by priceless »

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »

I have a good collection of jacks and handles and can share photos, but I can say for a fact that there was more than one supplier in the 69/70 time frame.  Which supplier is correct for which production facility is hard to determine, if not impossible at this point.   
As for the C7 marking I would think that would indicate the date code if it is stamped on the side of the jack - March 67.  I have examples like that as well.  However pictures would be helpful. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

priceless

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
yea, thats what I always heard that they were different suppliers. I have shown our Mach 1 for years in MCA concours and have never been counted off for the jack.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:02:02 AM »
The 9B jack I referred to above is from a San Jose car.  The 8J came from who knows where, but is identical.

I am skeptical that a C7 jack came in a 1969 car, and the 1975 MPC parts book mentions an "A" stamp on six-cyl. jacks??
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Carl

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
One of the major points I've come across is that there are two sizes of what seem to be '70 jacks.  The small size is 5 inches between the rivets, the large size is 6 inches between the rivets.  I have several examples of both, which is why I'm trying to figure it out.  Each of these jacks have the square end blocks, and 1/2" acme threaded rod.  Of the three on my bench at present (didn't pull the ones from the cars), two of them have date codes, late '69.  One has no date code.  The no date code (a 6" jack) also has no patent number in the base.  All have the crossed top piece.
From asking the question, one known original is a 5" jack, the other is a 6" jack.  I am much more suspicious of the size differences.
I'm going to restore (rebuild) a couple of jacks for my two '70s, I'd prefer not to waste time cutting new rivets for the wrong jack.  :^)
Someone mentoined that Bruce Klier had done some research, if anyone has contact info for him it would be appreciated.

Carl

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »

I am in touch with Bruce quite a bit....he is actually stopping by my shop this week so I will discuss with him.  But my understanding is that in late 70 they switched to a smaller style jack that you are mentioning.   
Marcus Anghel

Offline Carl

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
The smaller jack is a 9K, i.e., October '69.
The jack in the picture (I'm assuming a PO restamped the date code from an L to an I), is a 6 inch jack.  The other 6" jack sitting on my bench is undated, no patent number.
Maybe they went from small to large between October and November in '69?
It takes a chunck of time to cut new rivets and end blocks to rebuild one of these, I'd really hate to put the wrong one back together with new pieces.  At least I'll know how to do it once the first is done.

Carl

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
Quote from: rockhouse66
I am skeptical that a C7 jack came in a 1969 car, and the 1975 MPC parts book mentions an "A" stamp on six-cyl. jacks??

Interesting about the A.  The jack and handle that came with my Metuchen car (9/68 ) both have A stamps.  The jack is a B7 with the small A on top and the handle is the socket type with hubcap lip and the large A near the threaded post hole.  Do not know if original to the car.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »

Carl - I guess I am still confused here.  Why are you taking the jack apart and cutting the rivets apart?  Arent you simply repainting the jack? 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Carl

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
In my insanity, I decided to get rid of the rust between the plates, and restore the jack properly.  Yes, I know, the jacks were dipped, then the jack screw was inserted, and crimped in place.  The few clean jacks I've seen with a phosphatized screw had a pin in them, rather than the original crimps.  I pulled the screw to do the jack frame itself, and one thing lead to another . . .  Having a lathe to play with can be a dangerous distraction.
I pulled apart the 9K jack that came with the car, went to put it back together by holding it up against a different jack to make sure I put the pieces in the right places, and noticed the difference in the sizes of the jacks, which started me on the quest for knowledge.

Carl

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:08 AM »

Well, I would be curious to see what it looks like when you are done.  I dont know if I have ever seen one taken apart and put back together again. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Carl

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
I'll start finishing the jack pieces when I know whether I should go with a small (5") jack or a large (6") one.  Last step will be to press the rivets.  I put together dies to do it, only one I'm worried about is the end blocks because of the diameter of the pins.  The recessed T rivets came out nice, as did the end blocks. 

Carl