Author Topic: windshield wiper arm restoration  (Read 271 times)

Offline kammertime

windshield wiper arm restoration
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:34:46 AM »
Does anyone restore the correct finish to the 69-70 wiper arms or is there a DIY process?
Thanks,
John

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: windshield wiper arm restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 11:37:43 PM »
Does anyone restore the correct finish to the 69-70 wiper arms or is there a DIY process?
Thanks,
John
DIY would be my guess .Some of the parts were plated before being permanently connected to each other. Other parts have a combination of finishes and of course finish's on the clips. There might be someone out there that does it but I have not heard of anyone.  Black Chromate is what I typically see used. It is a somewhat elaborate and sometimes costly process to set up for just a few parts. Gun Blueing is what I used to use before I got into the more elaborate factory black chromate process. The gun blueing looks sorta like it but most people are not aware of the proper finish anyway so it didn't matter. I use the black chromate on a few other things as well plus it is a add on process to the zinc plating and gold chromate that I already use on other parts. At that point it was not too much more for me to add the additional process to my plate. I would suspect that the labor cost would be high if you could find someone to do it correctly. I have never kept track of my time when I did them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby