Author Topic: Inspection mark guidance- Rearend 1969 Mach 1 351/FMX 3.00 open  (Read 424 times)

Offline Vtorre61

1969 Mach 1 351/FMX 3.00 open.

I?m looking for guidance to replicate this marks. Paint/crayon? What colors and brands to use.

1) the ?5? looks like white or yellow crayon
2) the ?O1O? looks like orange/red paint.
3) I don?t know what the other mark is. Perhaps a check within a circle?

Thanks for all the help
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:45:37 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Inspection mark guidance
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »
When and where was your car finished?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Buzz489

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:23:16 AM »
I used kids poster paint for practice on the actual part and it would wash off easily. Then practice with the real paint sticks or whatever you're using on paper or something else. Paint sticks, are available from most mustang parts suppliers. You can also use "Testors" model paint. The show "Autorestomod" with Jeff Ford did an episode on reapplying factory marks. Most of my original marks did not make any sense and were sloppily applied. Have fun and good luck.

Offline Vtorre61

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 10:40:34 PM »
When and where was your car finished?

Metcheun Jan 69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 12:39:49 AM »
First - paint for all these markings. Small model enamels such as Testor's may be difficult for some of these since you may use more than one bottle for some markings but they have a good variety of colors or at least bases you can mix the right colors from by combining. If doing so mix all you can of the color matching color don't want to run short since the second batch will likely not match the first. Since your only doing one car Rustoleum small cans is likely too much paint depending on the cost though if your doing all of the suspension a can of yellow, since there is often more of that than any other color, might be best to go that route.

For the coloring your the best judge since you can see them in person but will give this a shot. Looks like a standard 69 9" rearend and third member

As for the specific marks you posted

1- Third picture and #1 on your list does, in the picture appear to be done in white paint. A similar (different number as well as this) has been found on other examples in one of three of the four (sections at the top of the third member divided by the two largo reinforcement ribs. Either the (as looking at it from the front of the car) the upper left or one of the two sections on the top right corner. Most are found as a two digit number in my records. Have found them in a couple of different color including white

2- The first picture and #2 on your list. Is that on the top of the bottom of the rear housing?

3- Second picture and #3 on your list. There was one worker at the Sterling rearend/axle plant that like to circle the coding located here on the third member.  I've first found these popping up during 67 production. Have not found any others from 69's with the circle yet so would have to refer back to that workers efforts from prior years. The challenge is that typically that area has a 3 digit coding   that starts with the letter "V". Have found these marked with paint in one of four different colors. Not sure that the color used has any significance

Hope this helps some
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)