Author Topic: How to give your 289 or 302 valve cover gaskets that black neoprene look  (Read 701 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell

While I was diving into the various cork gaskets and their original colors and styles for my Shelby I came across this thread in which Scott from NPD lists the coating on the valve cover gaskets:
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=24674.msg153509#msg153509

The black color on the 289 valve cover photo is certainly very dark and indicates this was not just a light coating.

I have my own ideas on how to apply a black, possibly neoprene,  coating to the gaskets but thought others might want to share their methods.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:59:16 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: How to make your valve cover gaskets look original
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 05:33:42 PM »
First I suggest we change the title of the thread to at least narrow the focus to 289 applications or 289-302. If we don't then your going to adding to the mix/discussion another group of finishes such as the silver painted valve cover gaskets for example

Consider that the gaskets that came with your valance covers may have not been supplied by For or the same supplier as Ford used originally

There are original gaskets that appear fully coated, complete painted black and others that only show black on the top and bottom surfaces like other cork gaskets used on engines. Concerned that we will mix Shelby applications and Mustang/general Ford applications with one another. Your also covering allot of years while gasket part numbers changed suggesting differences in production. Example from Scoots post it appears that your car would have used C6OE-6584-A a change from the neoprene earlier valve covers Scott showed in his example. At the moment I can't recall exactly but for 67 the visible surfaces of the valve cover might have been painted with the engine for non-Shelby

We're going to need to figure out which valve cover part number was used for each engine and year rather than blanket the applications unknowingly. I know I don't have engine assembly instructions and blueprints for every engine combination. Only a couple and one won't apply to this focus 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:06:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
It appears that by the time your specific car was built they were no longer using the C2 gaskets but sure others with earlier engines may be interested in the neoprene coating

Here is a list of gaskets that were used to assemble an engine in mid 67 production showing the C6 valve cover gasket set. List of materials also showed the S2MR-6582-A and B valve covers as being used

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
As a side comment the reference that Scoot mentioned that the layer of neoprene on the gaskets the text described could be as little .001 or as thick as .005 almost nothing more than coloring and a protective layer at most on the FE gasket mentioned

"ESA M2D69-A neoprene coating .001-.005 thick per side"

ALso the thread appears to not cover the 67 -up period for small blocks or 351 engines

Just an observation in the post
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:39:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

After viewing literally dozens of tales of woe about 67 GT500 valve cover gaskets on the SAAC Forum I found one mention of the 67 GT350 valve cover gasket that mentioned they were just cork.

Removed my comment about tabs and made a new post on the main gasket thread.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:08:54 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
After viewing literally dozens of tales of woe about 67 GT500 valve cover gaskets on the SAAC Forum I found one mention of the 67 GT350 valve cover gasket that mentioned they were just cork.

Removed my comment about tabs and made a new post on the main gasket thread.

If judging is a concern or consideration believe you will find that they are looking currently for cork gaskets finished to look like the example I posted in reply #2 above for your 67 GT350
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

Jeff -- I had more comments but I removed them and added them to the Shelby gasket thread.
That left my comment as doubting your replies, which was not intended.
Bill