Author Topic: SJ heater motor shield retaining nuts and small bolts  (Read 418 times)

Offline 69supercj

SJ heater motor shield retaining nuts and small bolts
« on: October 04, 2022, 07:23:24 PM »
Were these silver cad or something else? Talking about the one that also holds the blower motor shield in place along with the heater box as well as the two small bolts that hold the shield in place.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:52:32 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: SJ heater motor retaining nuts and small bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 10:19:31 AM »
Were these silver cad or something else? Talking about the one that also holds the blower motor shield in place along with the heater box as well as the two small bolts that hold the shield in place.
Shell nuts there are typically silver but could be gold. Solid steel nuts are typically silver. I default to zinc before cad.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:21:49 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 12:11:55 PM »
Shell nuts there are typically silver but could be gold. Solid steel nuts are typically silver. I default to zinc before cad.

Hey Bob, I've been looking at some of the pics in the unrestored survivor page and it looks like several of them were actually covered in black spray deadener or some other type of material that the factory must have sprayed around the heater motor and hose area. Mine doesn't currently have any of that spray, it might have been removed when I had the car restored back in '95. I was planning on going with the black covered shell nuts but now that i think about it, it might look out of  place to have the black shell nuts and no spray on the firewall in that area. Silver might be my best option.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 01:49:31 PM »
Hey Bob, I've been looking at some of the pics in the unrestored survivor page and it looks like several of them were actually covered in black spray deadener or some other type of material that the factory must have sprayed around the heater motor and hose area. Mine doesn't currently have any of that spray, it might have been removed when I had the car restored back in '95. I was planning on going with the black covered shell nuts but now that i think about it, it might look out of  place to have the black shell nuts and no spray on the firewall in that area. Silver might be my best option.
If you are concerned about historical accuracy there should be some sealer /deadener covering the nuts. If you choose to not use a heater shield then the firewall should look like the shield had been there (as in a witness line in the sound deadener) and taken off.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: SJ heater motor shield retaining nuts and small bolts
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 08:52:05 PM »

Have only found silver cad/zinc plated ones on 69 San Jose built cars as far as the stamped nuts go  for both the heater to firewall and the one shield nut on the ps upper stud

Same for the two hex headed screws

Amount and location of sealer depends on the pattern the worker applied and the angle of application

A few examples for illustration

Really well maintained original

Spray sealant didn't leave any shadow in this area of the firewall around the heater motor in this example

In this one you can see that some of the remaining sealant did leave a shadow under the bracket

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)