Author Topic: Improved design upper control arm shaft  (Read 3817 times)

Online ruppstang

Improved design upper control arm shaft
« on: October 21, 2022, 09:29:05 AM »
Has anyone used NPD's improved design upper control arm shaft? Also would they pass judging for Concours Driven?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Improved design upper control arm shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 12:19:56 AM »
Haven't seen an example that I know of
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Online ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 03:01:21 PM »

I see a lot of issues - thoughts?]

https://www.npdlink.com/product/shaft-kit-upper-control-arm/148496?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dimproved%252Bdesign%252Bupper%252Bcontrol%252Barm%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1968&year=1968

I do not like the looks of the boot. One of the reviews was not favorable. What are the issues you see? Are the Moog replacements best?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:04:19 PM by ruppstang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »

I see a lot of issues - thoughts?

The fact that it has boots and of course the angled zert fittings to begin with so those two details should be seen and found by a competent judges in a concours class IMHO

And of course the fact that the bushings have a hole for the zert would make them not correct for very early cars

Many aftermarket shaft kits included the boots and possibly some service parts so someone may have copied (as often happens) the "improved" design rather than the original design

Would be nice to see a side view to see the shape of the shaft and how its shaped at the attachment points.

Thought they might be Rare Parts reproduction but theirs don't have the boots but they do include zerts - though different shape so you would still need to purchase the plugs

https://www.rareparts.com/MVMS40908-15348-CONTROL-ARM-SHAFT-KIT

Pictures of some originals spanning from early 65-spring 1969. Of course have a fair number more

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 04:42:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 06:40:42 PM »
I am pretty certain that the NPD control arms are indeed the same as those marketed by Rare Parts.  Rare Parts are cataloged as # 15348, and the manufacturers reference number on those shown in the NPD link is  also 15348. (doubt that is a coincidence)  Do any of you agree?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 08:27:10 PM »
I am pretty certain that the NPD control arms are indeed the same as those marketed by Rare Parts.  Rare Parts are cataloged as # 15348, and the manufacturers reference number on those shown in the NPD link is  also 15348. (doubt that is a coincidence)  Do any of you agree?

Good eye for the part number. Looked at it again and the pictures don't match BUT

In the list of what is included they show

1 Shaft, 2 Bolts, 2 Lock Nuts, 2 Bushings, 2 Grease Seals, 2 O Rings, 2 Grease Fittings

If the 2 grease seals are the boots we can see in NPD and they have changed to right angle zerts then its likely.  Maybe I can swing by next week to Rare Parts and see as well as maybe help them a little

One might be able to install everything but the rubber boots and the zert fittings ( changing them to plugs for the post early 65 cars) and be ok. Still would like to see a side view as Rare Parts at one time did sell a shaft that was shaped differently round the mounting points. Think it was also them or another produced that had a name etched or marked on the center of the shaft making it unusable for our purposes. Might have a picture of the marking but it likely would not help here in this thread
Jeff Speegle

Online ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »
I think I will use the original style. They will most likely last as long as I will need them.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
I have heard that cutting a groove through the shaft threads from the ends to slightly past the o ring will allow better grease flow and longer life.  seems to me that when Ford added the zerks it was more of an afterthought.
Being completely sealed it is very hard to get grease in. I have even blown out o rings with grease gun.  Cutting a slot through the threads won't show and should slow down wear considerably - since all the wear on these is on the thread to thread contact area.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 11:11:58 AM »
Good eye for the part number. Looked at it again and the pictures don't match BUT

In the list of what is included they show

1 Shaft, 2 Bolts, 2 Lock Nuts, 2 Bushings, 2 Grease Seals, 2 O Rings, 2 Grease Fittings

If the 2 grease seals are the boots we can see in NPD and they have changed to right angle zerts then its likely.  Maybe I can swing by next week to Rare Parts and see as well as maybe help them a little

One might be able to install everything but the rubber boots and the zert fittings ( changing them to plugs for the post early 65 cars) and be ok. Still would like to see a side view as Rare Parts at one time did sell a shaft that was shaped differently round the mounting points. Think it was also them or another produced that had a name etched or marked on the center of the shaft making it unusable for our purposes. Might have a picture of the marking but it likely would not help here in this thread

I got these from Rare Parts. I was not too happy to find that they were powder coated black.

https://www.rareparts.com/RP17590A-17590-CONTROL-ARM-W-BALL-JOINT?quantity=1&custcol_rp_part_location=REAR&custcol_rp_part_application=409240&custcol_rp_vehicle=1968-Ford-Mustang&make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1968
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »

I got these from Rare Parts. I was not too happy to find that they were powder coated black.

Yes we went round an round over the years with different people in control of these things. We discussed this in one of the other threads about the supply and what was available at the time. Not sure if they will supply and want to deal with individual orders  for bare ones as they did in the past for me and other members here.  They also use to do just the riveting of ball joints into original arms for me and others. Don't believe the new guys running the day to day would do that today

For a time was able to get them bare but the major buyers and in turn likely the every day owners of the cars wanted something that would look great for the long haul and were not interested in being original
Jeff Speegle

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 08:40:39 PM »
You need something similar to this shaft to be 100% correct.

Offline AJ

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »
Pics of Rare Parts upper control arms after paint removal.  Ordered from NPD (3082-2A).   Arrived coated black as expected.  But unexpected was they appeared to be painted rather than powder coated.  Paint lifted very easy using stripper.  Will use these as place holders for a while
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 01:28:07 PM »
But unexpected was they appeared to be painted rather than powder coated.  Paint lifted very easy using stripper. 
What makes you think they were powered coated for assembly line use?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline AJ

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »
Jim,  I was expecting these reproductions to be powder coated upon delivery.   Powder coat is a PIA to remove.   So I was pleasantly surprised to find out the black coating was easily removed with paint stripper.   The photos i posted were after i stripped the paint off of the fully assembled part. 
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red