Author Topic: 67-68 Sun visor cleaning  (Read 650 times)

Offline 68 GT

67-68 Sun visor cleaning
« on: December 02, 2022, 11:39:03 PM »
What is a good way to clean the original sun visors, windshield pillar pads, the small crash pad above the glove box and kick panels? If I can get them clean, maybe they could be reused instead of buying new.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:19:13 AM by J_Speegle »
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67-68 Sun visor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 12:21:48 AM »
For most of those I would start with a mid spray cleaner, a old tooth brush and allot of small circular motions with the brush. Then a water spray and wipe to make sure all the cleaner and dirt is gone.

Nothing is going to turn back the clock and erase years of sun exposure

Sure others will have their favorite methods
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 10:55:27 PM »
To add to what Jeff recommended, I typically like to hit the part I?m cleaning with steam after spraying with the cleaning agent, but before scrubbing. The wet heat can really help the cleaner work. That said, those pillar pads and visors have a foam backing that is (at best) very delicate due to its age, so the heat from the steam can do more harm than good. As always, start with the mildest process and see how it does. If your seeing signs that it?s working, keep doing that instead of going to something harsher. You are better off going through that process several times than using a one step process that could do irreparable damage.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 04:51:00 PM »
To add to what Jeff recommended, I typically like to hit the part I?m cleaning with steam after spraying with the cleaning agent, but before scrubbing. The wet heat can really help the cleaner work. That said, those pillar pads and visors have a foam backing that is (at best) very delicate due to its age, so the heat from the steam can do more harm than good. As always, start with the mildest process and see how it does. If your seeing signs that it?s working, keep doing that instead of going to something harsher. You are better off going through that process several times than using a one step process that could do irreparable damage.

+1  Slow and steady. There are few if any short cuts in this "hobby"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)