Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

65-66 LCA's later service parts NOS

(1/4) > >>

Maksim27:
Guys I have a pair of NOS later service parts LCA's that I want to restore to Assembly Line Correct.  I need to replace some parts like the rivets, retainer, boot.  I did find extra spot welds on the LCA's and not sure if that could be a point deduction or not concours enough... I know that Factory and early NOS service parts LCAs had only 2 Spot welds.  My used later LCA's also have 2 spot welds....  Does it really matter if it is 4 spot welds on each arm or not really a major concern for correctness. 

The last 2 in my picture are my used control arms that have the correct 2 spot welds. 

I need to know before sending the LCA's off to Marcus for riveting them...  I can send my used control arms but I messed up the upper threads when removing the arms several years ago with a ball joint press.  Or maybe remove the rivets and swap the new ball joints into the used LCA's but the used LCA's do have surface pitting... Probably dipped paint would cover the pitting.  I think I answered my own question, but looking for suggestions.

J_Speegle:
To the first part of your question

--- Quote from: Maksim27 on December 09, 2022, 07:33:01 PM ---Guys I have a pair of NOS later service parts LCA's that I want to restore to Assembly Line Correct.  I need to replace some parts like the rivets, retainer, boot.  I did find extra spot welds on the LCA's and not sure if that could be a point deduction or not concours enough...

--- End quote ---

If there is a difference and the judge or judges notice it yes its an opportunity to lose points. The question is will they notice it. You'll have to wait and wonder every time to the end of the show before you'll find out if they did or didn't. Leaving ANY door open leaves you open to the possibility unless there is a related note on the judging sheets or in the rules that state that something is exempt from deduction like there are, for example, for some details/parts in MCA Driver class.

Maksim27:
Guys I was just wondering if these LCA ball joints came from the original supplier to Ford back in the 60s.  They seem to look correct as Factory and was wondering if in fact this design is being reproduced or is authentic 60s version.  I'm looking to probably purchasing them as I damaged my upper thread when removing mine several years ago with a ball joint press.  I'm thinking of drilling off the rivets on mine and then shipping the LCA's to Marcus for riveting.   Yes I know the retainer is flat and I'll need a retainer that has a edge which I found on NPD but they say it is for 67 LCA's not sure if could work for 66 LCA's.  I put 2 different links below... The first link is for the ball joints, and the second link is for the retainer.
Jan 66 200 C4 San Jose

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192698949207?hash=item2cddc09e57:g:l9MAAOxyxpxQ8AJa&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4CHxAYVCS22PXV6xczq3ftKGyW2d2VRmF1h1R2F9widxfhvamqOHubHi%2BNnWHnkkwGx7fYqUAOGX%2BaTcyoHYngkiK1ZnAJe0NgSRo5%2FmLwOl4MwsmQIZu8N6M2n9yO6yeQiUkYQKIeMqDTMdY5sFgJL9r94bxeRuXMsE7y7lmyGL8X%2FSCZYJQKwoDghwAasAOHxvpF5LfdnTt6LtbgxSUoDkQARJLqQQXTg7VQTE%2B4ypTMuBwEgkn9OLrwuuEz0YOEOkDCzoWxJ13WlzWw3AzSS32QCTLmm%2BXf43sKWC9u9C%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7LLep6Fh

https://www.npdlink.com/product/retainer-and-gasket-lower-ball-joint-seal/169695?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dball%252Bjoint%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

CharlesTurner:
The problem with replacing the entire ball joint assembly like that is the original ones were spot welded to the control arm.  It's possible to maybe drill out the spot weld from the old ball joint plate side as to not damage the control arm.  Although, then you're faced with how to spot weld the new one on and make it look correct.

Lower ball joints usually do not wear anything like the uppers.  Unless the boots were torn open/rotted and water collected inside the ball joint, they are likely ok.  Drilling out the rivets to replace the seal and boots will allow the ball socket/stud to be inspected.  Most I've disassembled looked perfectly fine inside.

Maksim27:
I kind of messed up my upper threads while using a compress tool several years ago...  You can see in the pictures below.  Don't know if only the thread ball rod can be replaced only.  Maybe if prying those 3 tabs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version