Author Topic: 69 SCJ Caution Fan Decal  (Read 533 times)

Offline Fisheroujr

69 SCJ Caution Fan Decal
« on: January 11, 2023, 06:14:14 PM »
I?ve searched the site and not having any luck. Can someone clear this up for me. Did June 1969 Mach 1 428 SCJ automatic cars have a Caution Fan decal on the fan shroud? I keep hearing and seeing contradictory information. Told by numerous people that the Caution Fan decal wasn?t placed on the shroud until the 1970 Mach 1, others say just the opposite. Then go to car shows where the owner has a big sign saying concours restored and it has the decal and 3 clips holding the radiator top seal, when books I have state 5 clips are required. How does one wade through all this contradictory info. And which is correct Decal or no Decal and 5 clips or 3?

Thank you

Edit: Thank you for your responses they were very helpful, and appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:34:13 AM by Fisheroujr »
Fisheroujr
1969 Mach 1 SCJ Ram Air 3.91 PS PB AT
9T02R211961 6/19/1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 SCJ Caution Fan Decal
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:42:46 PM »
I?ve searched the site and not having any luck. Can someone clear this up for me. Did June 1969 Mach 1 428 SCJ automatic cars have a Caution Fan decal on the fan shroud? I keep hearing and seeing contradictory information. Told by numerous people that the Caution Fan decal wasn?t placed on the shroud until the 1970 Mach 1, others say just the opposite. Then go to car shows where the owner has a big sign saying concours restored and it has the decal and 3 clips holding the radiator top seal, when books I have state 5 clips are required. How does one wade through all this contradictory info. And which is correct Decal or no Decal and 5 clips or 3?

Thank you
No caution fan decal used on a 69 Mach I regardless of engine from the factory. Boss 429 used the caution fan decal. I am most familiar with 69 Dearborn built cars which typically used staples to hold the seal on. Apparently when the staple gun broke down they substituted clips. When clips were used on the Dearborn applications in place of staples I have seen 5 clips used. I do not know how this relates to the other plants in 69.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 SCJ Caution Fan Decal
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 04:57:29 PM »
I?ve searched the site and not having any luck. Can someone clear this up for me. Did June 1969 Mach 1 428 SCJ automatic cars have a Caution Fan decal on the fan shroud?

As Bob wrote above No. The decals have been somewhat an inside joke amount many of the judges and owners since they are not original to the car mentioned but you see tons of cars restored with them and because of this many owners/builders blindly just copy this detail over and over again. One of the possible additional reasons the decal kits sold through most of the retailers and discouraged here on this site, include them so again owners/builders assume that whom ever is selling and making them know something they don't and simply stick them on the car often along with other decals/stickers that don't belong either. The Caution decals are often found on unrestored cars due to a campaign in early 70's where every registered Ford build car was sent a sticker and instructed the owners to apply this to their car, similar to a few other campaigns. In addition likely tens of thousands decals were sent to all the dealers where they were instructed to apply one to every car that came in for servicing, on the used car lot and to all new cars that didn't get on at the assembly line. And finally one was included with every service replacement/NOS  radiator shroud sold after that date.

As mentioned there was some usage on Ford products of a similar or the same Caution decal but for our focus here that was limited to Boss 429's and cars built during and after the campaign

I keep hearing and seeing contradictory information. Told by numerous people that the Caution Fan decal wasn?t placed on the shroud until the 1970 Mach 1, others say just the opposite. Then go to car shows where the owner has a big sign saying concours restored and it has the decal and 3 clips holding the radiator top seal, when books I have state 5 clips are required. How does one wade through all this contradictory info. And which is correct Decal or no Decal and 5 clips or 3?

How do you wade through all the contradictory information? The same way you would with anything else. Do your homework, have a reason and documentation for your choices and find a forum that focuses on how the cars were built not so much on how they have been restored IMHO is a good start. Find a forum where you feel comfortable with the general exchanges and well as the experiences, knowledge and the willingness to sharing examples. Ask specific questions and using the search feature to read past discussions on the related subject. If its an old discussion ask if there is any more recent discoveries or change to opinions. 

The need and focus is why this site was developed. Our understanding of these cars has come a long long way IMHO over the decades.

As for applying and using the assembly manuals or any other written document I suggest that you view those as often being what Ford wanted to be done but not always what did take place. Compare these details to multiple unrestored vehicles built at about the same time and plant as your car. We've discovered and documented allot of the differences that were a result of running changes in methods, material and other things.

Sorry for the long response but you asked an important question and one I'm sure allot of the lurkers wonder about also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)