Author Topic: 69 center console screws holes missing  (Read 674 times)

Offline Buzz489

69 center console screws holes missing
« on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:33 PM »
Is (or was) it common for the factory to not use all the screw holes in a center console installation? I'm replacing the carpet in my late built SJ 69 Mach 1 and reinstalling the center console that I removed and put into storage years ago. I noticed when installing my center console that I only have 6 holes (3 on each side) in the sheet metal of the driveshaft hump, while the console has 10 holes total. The picture I'm submitting has blue tape showing only the consoles rear 3 screw locations with only 2 holes drilled into the sheet metal.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 center console screws holes missing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:38:41 PM »
Is (or was) it common for the factory to not use all the screw holes in a center console installation? I'm replacing the carpet in my late built SJ 69 Mach 1 and reinstalling the center console that I removed and put into storage years ago. I noticed when installing my center console that I only have 6 holes (3 on each side) in the sheet metal of the driveshaft hump, while the console has 10 holes total. The picture I'm submitting has blue tape showing only the consoles rear 3 screw locations with only 2 holes drilled into the sheet metal.
Typically all holes were used .Mistakes happen. Some mistakes are cool but this one is not. What looks better all holes filled or empty holes in your console? Do not drill the holes but use a awl or like tool to punch your holes . Use the awl to find your holes in the carpet when carefully inserting the screw to lessen the risk of the screw thread catching a carpet fiber and pulling and putting a run in a section of carpet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:58 AM »
Would not say its common but like many things guys cut corners and sometimes the details didn't get caught while other times they did.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 08:52:59 AM »
The 3/69 built San Jose car I had was the same situation.  Several console holes were never present.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:41:13 AM »
Make sure u have correct console as 69 is different than 70 and have different screw hole locations.

Offline BIGBLOCKHEAD

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 06:02:15 PM »
My May built San Jose Mach 1 was missing a bunch of the screw holes too.