Author Topic: Deluxe door panels repairs  (Read 828 times)

Offline ruppstang

Deluxe door panels repairs
« on: March 01, 2023, 10:32:09 PM »
Has anyone had any luck repairing the vinyl on 67 Deluxe door panels.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Deluxe door panels repairs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:51:06 PM »
Where is a popcorn emoji when you need it?  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online S412gofast

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 01:11:42 PM »
Has anyone had any luck repairing the vinyl on 67 Deluxe door panels.

contact Adam Painter he and his father(since passed away) have restored them for years.
it may take a while but they come out great
864-887-4293
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 01:30:55 PM »
I have a decades old reskin on an original panel. "Nothing to see here  -- please move along."
I also have a reskinned dash in my stash of dashes. This  is a complete rubber reskin.
It's kinda-sorta ok. Better than repop, worse than original.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 04:16:49 PM »
contact Adam Painter he and his father(since passed away) have restored them for years.
it may take a while but they come out great
864-887-4293
Just so there are no unrealistic expectations .The 67 ones that I have seen that had been done looked similar to what a typical repro looks like but not the same texture or lack there of compare to a original. A redone factory panel typically fits better then a repro but the reskins and repros do not have the same outside finish when compared to a original.  In this case it is the same story that I have heard for decades.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 10:50:51 PM »
For the car I am building I am not looking for perfection. The reproductions that I have used in the past did not fit the best. I would rather use a panel that I have that fits well even if the repairs were not perfect, than pay$$$ for ones that are poor fitting.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 10:54:14 PM »
For the car I am building I am not looking for perfection. The reproductions that I have used in the past did not fit the best. I would rather use a panel that I have that fits well even if the repairs were not perfect, than pay$$$ for ones that are poor fitting.
If it were me I would test fit the donor and make sure it fits well first before going to the trouble of sending in.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 12:26:46 AM »
If it were me I would test fit the donor and make sure it fits well first before going to the trouble of sending in.

Good idea. That might save some wasted effort.

I am looking  at a idea of a repair that would not be considered concours  but would have a pleasing appearance.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 02:07:52 AM »
Good idea. That might save some wasted effort.

I am looking  at a idea of a repair that would not be considered concours  but would have a pleasing appearance.

Now I am curious what that non concours pleasing appearance would be. Is this like snake skin or Elvis painting velvet ?  ;D  The recovered panels that the Painters do or NPD sells would still be typically acceptable in trailered concours . If fitted properly they may receive a comment but most likely no deduction IMO.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:32 AM »
Bob if I try it, I will send you pictures, as you know Non concours stuff is not welcome here.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 11:56:42 AM »
Marty,  I know years ago you could get originals recovered with vinyl that was vacuum molded over the top.  May have been Just Dashes?  I have had such a set on my car since I bought it in 1989 and they've held up and look pretty good - it's not obvious (to me) that they were repaired.

Looking online I see they are still doing the same process:
https://www.justdashes.com/blog/just-dashes-restoration-video/
Hope this may help.
If the masonite backing is torn, warped etc. and you are very handy, you can carefully cut it out, make a pattern, cut and reglue new backing onto the original.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 09:18:18 PM »
Marty,  I know years ago you could get originals recovered with vinyl that was vacuum molded over the top.  May have been Just Dashes?  I have had such a set on my car since I bought it in 1989 and they've held up and look pretty good - it's not obvious (to me) that they were repaired.

Looking online I see they are still doing the same process:
https://www.justdashes.com/blog/just-dashes-restoration-video/
Hope this may help.
If the masonite backing is torn, warped etc. and you are very handy, you can carefully cut it out, make a pattern, cut and reglue new backing onto the original.
Kurt.

That looks interesting, I will have to see what it costs.

This is what I am starting with.