Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Rear Leaf Spring Success!

(1/2) > >>

bryancobb:
WOW!!!  I sand blasted my OEM leaf springs with a high capacity system at work that blows 320 cuFt/Min @90 PSI.
I went all the way to "white metal" (SSPC-SP5).

It looked nothing like it was suppose to but I wasn't done.  Then I went over them with a stiff wire bristle brush in a drill.
Then it looked like shiney brand new steel.  Still not done.

Then I took the Perma-Blue gun blueing solution and sort-of wiped very quickly with it on a rag, in an irregular straight line patern, parallel to the spring.  Then I very lightly hit it again in an irregular pattern with the drill/brush.

I say WOWWW! again.  They look like a brand new set of assembly line springs now.  (I'm sure new ones didn't look this good) LOL

I am so stoked!

I'll post pics when they are complete and asembled.

J_Speegle:
Congratulations on another completed task its all the "little" things that come together that make up the rewarding experience

Keep it up!!

bryancobb:
My small leafs only had 1 green dot on them.  No evidence of a white stripe.  Does that sound right for C4ZA5556N's?
Charles' light blue 65 GT Conv't had a green and yellow dot.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: bryancobb on April 20, 2011, 10:48:08 PM ---My small leafs only had 1 green dot on them.  No evidence of a white stripe.  Does that sound right for C4ZA5556N's?
Charles' light blue 65 GT Conv't had a green and yellow dot.

--- End quote ---

Never seen a rear spring marked with both spray and stripes. The spray dots appear to be the first style of  marking replaced, at some point, with the stripes. From observation the stripes tended to hold up (lucky for use) better than the dots so you may have one missing or a worker just opps on the ones your car received

I have examples of the C4Za-N with two green dots. Not sure what the engineering numbers were on Charle's specific car. But would guess, based on the color code, that they were the -S rear leaf springs

Pete Bush:
The different color code on Charles' springs might mean that his GT had the increased rate Special Handling Package springs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version