Author Topic: Autolite 4300 ? update  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Wills70

Autolite 4300 ? update
« on: April 30, 2023, 04:31:42 PM »
I have a C9ZF-C carburetor that is missing a spring, it is attached to the accelerator pump lever rod and dash pot bracket. Can someone please help me with a part number or where to find one?
Thanks Will
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:39:51 AM by Wills70 »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Autolite 4300 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 04:39:00 PM »
This is an excellent task for you to use the "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC) section in the library.
First, locate the Ford part number for the carburetor in the text section, then look at the Illustrations of that model to to determine the Ford base number for the spring, then back to the text to get a Ford part number for the spring. This is what I, or anybody else would have to do.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 04:50:41 PM »
Thank you for the reply and advice, I have never been in that section of the Forum, did not know that information was available in there . I will definitely check it out
Thanks again
Will

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 05:02:31 PM »
Will,
You made my day.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 05:01:44 PM »
Hi Jim , that is whole another world in the library , I believe I found my part number C7AZ 9A538-C . pg 342
But was unsure about where to find the illustrations you spoke of ?
Your help is greatly appreciated
Thanks Will

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 08:43:37 PM »
When I clicked the link in the library for 1970 Mustang Article list, it went to the Thunderbird website we have used (with their permission) to get access to 1965-72 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC - Master Parts Catalog). Your drawing information is in file "09-1965Illust-FuelSystems.pdf".
Jim

Offline Wills70

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 05:07:35 PM »
Success ! I was able to locate the illustration , and locate my part number thanks to you Jim !
Thank you for all your hard  work you put into the library to make this possible !
now if I can only locate this spring that I need

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 09:11:55 PM »
Try allcarbs.com in new York.   Ask for Jarrod.

Nice person to talk to.

Dan in Kansas

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 11:20:44 PM »
Success ! I was able to locate the illustration , and locate my part number thanks to you Jim !
Thank you for all your hard  work you put into the library to make this possible !
now if I can only locate this spring that I need

Hi Will - My name is Keith (70-Conv_4sp) if interested email me at kcorwin@pacbell.net and I will send you picture of a spring I took
off a D2 4300 carburetor

Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 12:40:39 AM »
Think you may have to get one from a donor carb. May be able to widen your search to include carbs from other years to improve your chances

Some examples

68 NOS examples

69 restored example

70 original examples

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Wills70

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff , while i was in the library i was looking at different years and models for the same spring being used - nothing found yet. This spring has a 1967 part number being used on a 1969 carburetor so one would tend to think this was used before elsewhere ?
I have call in to West Coast Cougar and a Wanted add for a possible used part - also a carburetor shop I contacted said they would have one that would work , so all is not lost
I'm sure thousands of these springs were made and I'm willing to bet there is still one out there laying around somewhere ? Now armed with a part number will aid in my search 
And a big Thanks to you Jeff for all your hard work in putting the library together - very valuable tool!
Will
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 12:28:34 PM by Wills70 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff , while i was in the library i was looking at different years and models for the same spring being used - nothing found yet. This spring has a 1967 part number being used on a 1969 carburetor so one would tend to think this was used before elsewhere ?
I have call in to West Coast Cougar and a Wanted add for a possible used part - also a carburetor shop I contacted said they would have one that would work , so all is not lost
I'm sure thousands of these springs were made and I'm willing to bet there is still one out there laying around somewhere ? Now armed with a part number will aid in my search 
And a big Thanks to you Jeff for all your hard work in putting the library together - very valuable tool!
Will
A reality check meant in a helpful way is in order . Part numbers are important to know. With that said  knowing the part number is down the helpful list compared to a picture with length and diameter measurements (for a spring)when looking for a used part IMO. The vast majority of people who sell used parts do not typically have a part like this categorized with a part number. It is most typical for people who sell used parts to rely on application and category of usage on a given application . A part number is for secondary confirmation if at all depending on the part. Rattling off a part number is the quickest way to get a used parts vendor eyes to glaze over and just say they don't have a small obscure low value part. I would first ask if they had the carb spring for the application, type of carb and its location on the carb . I would offer the measurements and or a picture for the spring in question to confirm its identity. Offering the part number would be in the "if all else fails" category in this case for a used carb spring IMO. At least as it pertains to a low value used parts. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 12:18:08 AM »
Did you call Jarrod at allcarbs.com, this is in his wheelhouse and what Bob Gaines recommended might be all you need to ask Jarrod.  He is rebuilding my 70 autolite right now.  One year/model only and he comes recommended by drew podjednic. 

Hope he can help you.

Dan in Kansas

Offline Wills70

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 11:37:33 PM »
Update on my findings, with a known part number I searched the catalog for a carburetor that used the same spring, 429 / 460  4V carburetor matched, and gave me the dimensions of the spring that was not given under the 351W part listing. I noticed a FoMoCo carburetor kit that contained a spring that appeared to be correct - measures to specifications. So an NOS spring for my 1969 Shelby GT350 4 speed Autolite 4300  4V carburetor.

Thanks again Jim - for sending me to the library!
        You made my day!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:46:11 AM by Wills70 »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Autolite 4300 ? update
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 12:18:51 AM »
Giving you the answer would have solved your problem. Showing you how to find the answer and how to use other resources available, puts you at the head of the class.
Jim